Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: found mine slope
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:22 pm 

My friend found a slope in the woods of glen lyon, its in perfect condition. We are venturing out one day this week to gett better pictures of it. and if anyone wants to come along let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:38 am 

Is it one by itself or two parallel? If it's two, then I have been there. Careful as the ground around it was a little unstable. Almost had a quick entry into it.

Post subject: slope
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:30 am 

nope its by itself, neat find also found another mine opening closer to the nanticoke line, trash is dumped into it, but u can still see down passed it if someone cleared it out. But to get to these location gotta drive or atv and get permission from the land owners to drive on it. im sure theres ppl that can get permission on here i would love to taake a ride out to show ppl. also near moc part of 3 story train station still there w other openings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:19 am 

Id be interrested in taking a look

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:20 pm 

e mail or pm me i live in nanticoke and wouldnt mind goin for an adventure!

Post subject: Re: found mine slope
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:30 pm 

james87 wrote:
My friend found a slope in the woods of glen lyon, its in perfect condition. We are venturing out one day this week to gett better pictures of it. and if anyone wants to come along let me know.

Wingnut, Is this the one I found while searching for a brush fire. The one I took you to see?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:43 pm 

I will try and post a picture of it... I believe there are a few other remains out there... James you have to take me to see some of the other sites here in Nanticoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:52 am 

yea count me in on that one, pm me let me know the details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 pm 

Ok the Mine slope that my friend James is talking about is behind the St. Adalbert's Cemetery about a mile south of Glen Lyon on Main St/ Main Rd, heading towards Lee and Mocanaqua. The Slope Entrance is back in the woods about 1/4 to 1/2 mile behind the cemetery. You can get a vehicle back via the trails that go around an old baseball diamond. (My all wheel drive Subaru Outback made it). The Concrete Entrance is still in amazing shape It has __________ Coal Company engraved on it with the year of 1920 under it... Im not too sure which coal company it belonged to, Im going to do some more research on it. I would Believe that it was a Glen Alden Coal Co. operated Slope. You can only go down appx 100-150 ft due to a colapse which you could see on the hillside behind it. Just past the slope on the trail are other concrete remains, I only got a quick look at them when I was first out there, Due to My Rescue Capt and I looking for a reported brush fire. I would like to go back out there and get more pictures with the digital camrea. Most likely this Sunday. If anyone is interested pm me and we could meet somewhere in Newport Twp or Nanticoke. Also near by are what were called the Ice Caves. James would know more on the Ice Caves. Also Near by Should be the Number 10 Slope which was operated by the Susquhanna Coal Co. (The one I found is NOT the Number 10). I have a picture of the # 10 which has a solid rock face with the year 1918 above it... I'd like to find this one too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:32 pm 

esaresky75 wrote:
Is it one by itself or two parallel? If it's two, then I have been there. Careful as the ground around it was a little unstable. Almost had a quick entry into it.

The two Parallel one I would have to believe is Slope #10. you are refering to 2 parallel sets of rails that run down into the shaft. esarsky75 Is there a rock face at the entrance of the one you found and the date 1918 on it, and if it is, would you be able to give me an idea where it is or how to get to it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:38 pm 

No rails, no rock-face, name or date. The ones I'm referring to are slopes that are funneled at the top, maybe 15-20 feet wide at the top tapering to 6-8 feet at the bottom some 30 feet down. There are steep, maybe 60 degree angle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 pm 

Was this closer to the cemetery and road or back some distance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 pm 

Click link for map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=glen+lyon,pa&sll=41.157469,-76.066729&sspn=0.003797,0.009345&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Glen+Lyon,+Luzerne,+Pennsylvania&ll=41.174035,-76.002914&spn=0.003796,0.009345&t=h&z=17

The small clearing is a "caged" opening. The two I'm referring to are south about 1" and to the west about 1.5"

It's hard to explain, if you are interested, I can meet you one day and we'll go. LMK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 pm 

Ok If its caged in by a big green fence made of angle iron and then around the the one side of it it has a small cage with a couragated tube in it, then thats the Ice Caves as the Glen Lyon locals call it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 pm 

Oh, and when I say 30 feet down, I mean the openings are that long. I didn't go into them as I didn't have my light with me. If my memory is correct as it has been two years ago this month since I was there, I felt a person should have a rope/repelling gear to go down the slope.