Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 Miners Missing in Ky. Coal Mine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:52 am 

2 miners missing in Ky. coal mine rock fall

PROVIDENCE, Ky. (AP) -- Two coal miners were missing Thursday after an underground rock fall in western Kentucky, the mine and a union representative said.

Tim Miller from the United Mine Workers Union said at least two others escaped when a ceiling collapsed at the Dotiki mine near Providence, about 150 miles west of Louisville. Miller described it as a large underground coal mine.

"Rescue operations were initiated immediately, but efforts to contact the miners have been unsuccessful," a spokeswoman for the mine told the Evansville Courier & Press. She said the accident happened late Wednesday.

Calls by The Associated Press to mine operator Alliance Coal Company were not immediately answered.

Miller said he was called around 6 a.m. by a woman who had received a call from the mine. The woman said she was told her husband and her son, who were working in the mine, were safe, but that two other miners were missing.

Miller described a rock fall as a ceiling collapse, usually in an isolated area.

He said the Dotiki Mine is a large operation that employs more than 300 miners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm 

Been watching this. They didnt make it. Unstable top is what took search so long. Sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:06 pm 

2 Miners Found Dead in Roof Collapse at Ky. Mine
2 coal miners found dead after roof collapse in Kentucky mine with record of safety problems
The Associated Press

A rescue team found a second Kentucky miner dead Thursday after a roof collapse at an underground coal mine with a long history of safety problems.

Map locates Providence, Ky., where two miners are trapped in a coal mine
(AP)Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear identified the miners as Justin Travis, 27, and Michael Carter, 28. The collapse happened late Wednesday at the Dotiki Mine near Providence.

"Our entire state mourns along with the families and friends," Beshear said in a statement. "Despite our sadness, we must press forward to the work ahead of us — fully investigating what caused this accident and determining ways to avoid such accidents in the future."

Carl Boone, district supervisor for the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration, said crews have removed Carter's body from the mine, but, as of 4 p.m. Central, were still working to retrieve the body of Travis. Boone said the investigation into the collapse will begin as soon as it is determined that the mine is safe to enter.

Beshear met with family members Thursday afternoon in the Nebo Baptist Church. While he was inside, a woman was brought out of the church on a stretcher and taken away by ambulance.

Family members had declined to talk to reporters.

State and federal records show more than 40 closure orders for the mine over safety violations since January 2009.

Records show inspectors from the Kentucky Office of Mine Safety and Licensing have issued 31 orders to close sections of the mine or to shut down equipment because of safety violations since January 2009. Those records also show an additional 44 citations for safety violations that didn't result in closure orders.

MSHA records show the mine was cited 840 times by federal inspectors for safety violations since January 2009, and 11 times closure orders were issued.

The records show 214 of the citations were issued in the first four months of this year, and twice inspectors issued closure orders this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:51 pm 

Dotiki is an Illinois Basin Mine, in Western KY.

Had a major Fire there a number of years ago.

Looks like the Citation Rant has already started.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: