Iron Miners
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Gravity Slope"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:33 am 

i really want to get involved in the restoring of the buildings in Archbald...im also from there...how would i do this? also, im thinking about writing a book so i was wondering if maybe u would have some good info for me..thanks!!!

nmcmyne@yahoo.com
kitabita2220-aim

Nakita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:03 am 

you can contact the project manager at the archbald borough. just tell them you want to help out and they will let you know when they are working there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:30 pm 

Chris, perhaps you could explain about the piece of land that you and the UGM team own at Gravity Slope, which I understand contains the entrance to the manway, and how it ties in with the Archbald restoration project. Is it safe to say that their (Archbald Twp.)holdings do not include an entrance to the mine,but rather above ground structures? Regards your purchase of this land, was it through a private party or a state/county auction?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:51 pm 

actually, sorry i didnt clarify this sooner. archbald borough owns the land. the ugm group is in charge of telling them what to do with it and how to restore the buildings. we are to provide historical council to the architects and workers so the buildings stay the same and are restored to era. as for the manway, it has been opened. we were in it to explore to see if a tour can be made out of it. this is feasible with enough money thrown at it. after this we sealed it back up. http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/viewtopic.php?t=720

we are continuing to work with archbald borough to restore these buildings. we have gotten grants totaling just over $220,000 to begin the project. the projected cost is just under 400k. thats just to bring the buildings up. thats not touching the manway or getting rail or building a motorbarn for our equipment. we will see how it goes in the next few years. it will kind of be a slow process as these usually are. we are helping out when they need us but for now we are spending alot of time with pioneer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:58 pm 

Chris, Do they need extra man power to help them with the work or what? i know you said it will take some time to get the ball rolling but i know i would be able to volunteer sometime to help out.

Well there's Your problem - Mythbusters

Caution: anything posted above may not be real, I am imaginary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:03 pm 

well i can let you guys know what and when things are going on. heres where we stand now. a contracting firm just did the feasibility study on how much the buildings will take to restore. now that work goes out for bidding. they are going to have a company come in and do the work. the buildings are in semi bad shape so they want it done professionally. the work the volunteers did was tree removal and building cleanup, which most has been done. im sure there will be more but right now we are just waiting on the study to be complete so we can send the bids out. there really isnt much that needs to be done...... at this point. when the buildings are complete there will be a TON of work to do though. espically when we start spiking rail :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:37 pm 

I can understand the need for the pros for the buildings but when the time comes around when ever that is let us know so we can help out!

Well there's Your problem - Mythbusters

Caution: anything posted above may not be real, I am imaginary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:19 pm 

well...im leaving for basic training but i have been lookin at these buildings for years and i honestly love them lol...i think i may be obsessed with coal mines...but im seriously interested in being a part of something with them...i have some awesome pics i can email you that i took of the "water-wheel" inside..you said it was wooden?? i thought it was metal...i mean thats what they look like from the pictures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:29 pm 

that is a gubial fan. it was used to ventilate the mines. it would suck air out of the workings through the airshaft outside that is filled in. it is a metal frame with wooden paddles.