Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cedar Av subsidence, South Scranton
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:02 pm 

Another subsidence in Scranton. A hole 10 feet in diameter opened in the front yard of a residence taking a small brick retaining wall with it. Heavy rains may have opened up an old slope as the maps show one very close to the hole. This is across the street from the massive Cedar Av underground mine fire that burned from 1959 to 1969. And resulted in over a 100 homes being demolished.

Post subject: Re: Cedar Av subsidence, South Scranton
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:01 pm 

miner490 wrote:
This is across the street from the massive Cedar Av underground mine fire that burned from 1959 to 1969. And resulted in over a 100 homes being demolished.

More info needed, please. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:22 pm 

Photos by USBM, OSM. Scans by T Wilson.
This underground mine fire was a combination of two mine fires. The first was a culm bank fire, on top of which homes were built. The second was the Clark vein fire that the city of Scranton caught on fire when they used a stripping pit as a garbadge dump. Today if you were to travel up Cedar Av ( going south) soon as you pass kellys pub you start up the hill. On the right is newer homes. This is the site of the mine fire. After the fire was allowed to burn out the land sat dormant.During the early 80's under the guises of the Scranton redevelopment authority the land was sub divided. The lots were sold for $1, with the condition homes were constructed within one year of the purchase. It is interesting to note that the state contributed to the spread of the fire. In the early stages they dug mini trenches in an attempt to isolate the fire. the fire had already gone beyound the trench. All the trenches did was to add a ready sourse of air for the fire to breathe. It got to the point the states project office had to be relocated because it was falling into the fire below. ( ie. emergency move)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:38 am 

Thanks! I knew about that fire from my dad but had forgot until I saw the pictures. On top of Cedar just past Kelly's Pub was a bowling alley my father use to go to until the fire. It was either consumed by the fire or torn down because of the fire. Great pics too, any more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm 

Your dad might like this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 pm 

Every time I ask you for something, it appears. I have to think carefully about my next request. Mmmm...a coal car would be nice. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:41 pm 

Well evidently it was a subsidence, there now drilling and grouting the area around the home. Back before the home was built I knew the previous owner of a bar that stood at this ocation. He said there was an wntrance into the mines in the basement. I dismissed it as one of those stories you hear about. Maybe it wasnt ?