Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Found a previously undiscovered mineshaft in scranton !
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:32 pm 

I recently found a 4'x 3' hole in the ground in the woods behind my house. I can only assume this is a vent shaft for a mine. I've also found several large depressions that look like they are whats left of other openings. Also found some very intersesting remenants of old buildings and strange depressions in the ground. I've looked everywhere on the internet and went as far as to contact DEP office of surface mining - they have NO records of ANYTHING being out there. I would rather not have a billion people tramping through my woods so the exact location will be kept secret for now but I will say this it's location is between Pike st, rt 11, Morgan hwy, and Shady lane rd. in scranton and south abington. If anyone has any info on mines in this area please contact me. Also if anyone would like to be the first group into this mineshaft and any others found on the property please contact me.
Thanx - Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 pm 

Hate to burst your bubble... but Chris and I were up there a few years ago. I know where your talking. That area was mined by John Jermyn back in the 1800;s. Some remenents of the buildings and the drift are still there. Be cautious walking up the mountain from the rements as there is an intake shaft. 4X4 and about 25 feet deep, leading to the Dunmore No 3 vein. Later after the mining companies consolidated ,the area was mined by the Cayuga of the DL&W coal department. A small portion on the southern end was mined by the Rockwell mines. The slope being located under Allied services. The Rockwell was developed by John Jermyn after he developed the Diamond, and before he developed the mines I previously mentioned. Hope this helps identifying the remains, and the mining that took place. OSM is aware of the small intake shaft. As far as undergound. The old Scranton city landfill sits atop the mountain. That dump is a superfund site. Kind of errie as nothing much grows on top of it.And a few years ago Chris myself and others had the pleasure of meeting a girl through a good passed friend John. She interned at DEP and filled us in on the old dump, and where it drains... you guessed it. The mines in that area. So thansk for the offer. But I for one will pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm 

I photo documented the remains for an article a few years ago. Ill see if I can find the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 pm 

Ya Jeremy, been there also. Like MIner490 said, there are many opening in your area and they are unstable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:44 am 

I rappelled down into the shaft this afternoon and it is 35ft deep. About 25ft down it looks like a cave in sealed it off because the bottom 10ft are jagged rock. OSM didnt have it on there maps and are coming out in the next few weeks to fill it in for me. As for the landfill- I've been told by no less than 12 people that this is a superfund site. Nowever it is not listed. When you and Chris went up which way did you go in? If any of you guys that have been up there before wouldnt mind showing me all the openings and such that you know about I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to fill as many of them in as possible since my 2 small children and myself hike behind the house almost daily. Any pictures would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 am 

Ill see if I can find the pics. That shaft is on the maps, I have a copy here I believe. That is the only vertical shaft up there. So your in good shape there. The others are collapsed drifts. Youve probably found them. After the goverment pushed some dirt around, they considered the site " remidiated". ??? In other words its kind of like the marjol site. They figured best to leave everything in there, instead of didding it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 pm 

Jeremy, have you come across the squatter yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:29 pm 

Squatter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:40 pm 

I know there's a homeless guy that lives down on the tracks but I've never seen him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:06 am 

That's him, he walks up the sidewalk at the Oaks St exit of the expressway to his "path". I visited his camp twice, lots of stuff there and his home is interestingly constructed. I forget his name, someone I met that also lives in the area of Pike St told me him name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:00 am 

One of my neighbors told me his shack burned down a few weeks ago. I haven't been down there to meet him yet. My uncle used to own my house and gave the guy money and food all the time. Maybe I'll let him live in my shed, give him a gun and a cheeseburger- he can act as security for my woods! :twisted: