Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Values Set for Centralia Homes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:16 pm 

The Associated Press

BLOOMSBURG — A central Pennsylvania jury has set values for homes in a central Pennsylvania town decimated by a mine fire at values far below those sought by homeowners who are challenging the state’s condemnation of their property.

Tommy Hynoski said his mother’s home in Centralia should be worth about $90,000, based on what other homeowners in the area got for their properties, even though the home had to be supported by brick pillars after neighboring homes were torn down.

A Columbia County jury disagreed Friday and set the home’s value at half that amount. Two other landowners who challenged a state appraisal also got far less than they had in mind.

Jurors set a total value of $80,000 for the two homes of his cousin, Steven Hynoski, and a garage and land, despite his contention that the homes should bring $75,000 each and the land and garage another $22,000. Harold Mervine thought his late parents’ home should be worth $75,000, but the jury set the value at $40,000.

But Carl Womer, 86, who settled out of court with the Columbia County Redevelopment Authority, will get $82,000 for his house — and he can stay there for the rest of his life.

A few remaining Centralia residents are embroiled in a long legal battle against the state, which condemned the town in 1993 because of a mine fire raging underground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:53 pm 

thats reminisent of the Cedar Av mine fire of the 60's. Home values were in litigation for years. Last one wasnt settled till 1990 !!!! 25 years after the homes were torn down !!! Same thing with the Eynon Street mine fire area in West Scranton. Good thing the mine pool rose and put that fire out, or thed still be buying up more homes.