Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coal Mine Blast In China
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:46 am 

China is staying mum on mine blast
Media doesn’t report on accident which killed 21 miners and trapped 16.
CARA ANNA Associated Press Writer

BEIJING — China joined the world in breathless coverage of the Chilean mine rescue, but when a gas blast killed 21 Chinese miners and trapped 16 Saturday, the national TV evening news didn’t say a word. Rescuers said they were fighting tons of coal dust to reach the miners, who have been located but whose condition was unknown.

The rescuers also faced dangerous gas levels and the risk of falling rocks as they worked their way into the mine pit.

The early morning explosion in central China happened as the world still was celebrating Chile’s successful rescue of 33 miners trapped more than two months. Chinese media had detailed coverage as the men emerged to cheers.

Some in China asked whether their own officials would make as much of an effort in a similar disaster, and be just as open about the progress of rescue efforts.

The test came quickly for China, whose mining industry is the most dangerous in the world.

Saturday’s blast at a state-run mine in Henan province occurred as workers were drilling a hole to release pressure from a gas buildup to decrease the risk of explosions, the state work safety administration said.

Another gas blast at the same mine two years ago killed 23 people, state media said.

Saturday’s blast at the Pingyu Coal & Electric Co. Ltd. mine unleashed more than 2,500 tons of coal dust, an engineer for one of the mine’s parent companies, Du Bo, told the state-run Xinhua News Agency.

A rescue spokesman told Xinhua that workers had located the 16 trapped miners but must clear tons of coal dust from the mine shaft to reach them.

It wasn’t clear if the miners were alive or how far underground they were trapped in the mine in the city of Yuzhou.