Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spike TV Digs Down Deep For New Original Series, 'Coal'
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:47 pm 

Spike TV Digs Down Deep For New Original Series, 'Coal'

SOURCE Spike TV

Thom Beers To Produce New Documentary-Reality Series Featuring The Lives Of West Virginia Coal Miners

"When you're in a pitch-black shaft 500 feet from daylight, a single misstep, a bump from a headlamp or a misplaced cord can bring tons of Earth caving in around you and your crew." -- Tom, a West Virginia Coal miner

NEW YORK, Oct. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Spike TV and reality powerhouse-producer, Thom Beers, take viewers down into the depths of the Earth for an unprecedented look at one of the world's most dangerous and compelling jobs, coal mining. Spike TV will premiere the 10 episode, one-hour series in April 2011. The series will be executive produced by Beers' Original Productions, a FremantleMedia Company. Beers is the mastermind behind hit cable shows that explore high-risk occupations such as the Emmy® Award-winning "Deadliest Catch," "Ice Road Truckers" and "Axe Men."

"Coal mining is an integral part of the American economy and the lifeblood of communities across the U.S. and the world," said Sharon Levy, executive vice president, original series and animation, Spike TV. "This series is going to shine a light on the brave men and women and their families who endure the rigors of this arduous profession."

The Spike TV original series explores coal mining through the eyes of Mike Crowder and Tom Roberts, co-owners of Cobalt Mine in Westchester, West Virginia, and the area's hard-working miners, families and community members.

The duo leads more than 40 machine operators, foremen, electricians and drivers in one of the most dangerous workplaces on the planet. They face pressure every minute of every day to keep the mine up and running, and to keep their workers alive. Every aspect of the job will be covered, from the dangers behind the super-charged explosions needed to open surface mines, to the well publicized daily dangers of working in the dark recesses of the earth's crust in a traditional shaft mine.

Mike and Tom are loyal family men and they require the support of their loved ones to tackle the daily demands of the mine. Tom's commitment to the job is reflected in a mining career that's spanned more than 45 years. He has seen his share of accidents and knows that any mistake can bring disaster.

Mike learned to get his hands dirty at a young age, growing up the son of a tire shop owner. A former college football star, Mike worked as a computer consultant for 20 years until he went into business with Tom in 2007. The pair struck up a coal mining partnership while watching their sons practice football.

Sharon Levy is Spike TV's executive vice president, original series and animation, Tim Duffy is vice president of original programming for Spike TV and Joe Weinstock is director, original programming. Executive Producers for Original Productions are Thom Beers and Philip D. Segal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 pm 

That looks good but they should do some on the anthracite mines in the southern fields of PA!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:13 pm 

NO BOYCOTT THE SOUTHERN FIELD!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:23 pm 

What's wrong with the southern fields :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:50 am 

Sounds great, can't wait to see it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:12 am 

Sounds interesting. Both shows are good, I just think they tend to be overly dramatic. But I guess that's TV.

The other question that needs to be asked: " What does MSHA think of the idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

All these shows are always very dramatic. After all if they were not, they'd probably be boring to most people. It's all about ratings. But this does sound like it might be interesting to learn the lives of some of these coal miners. Their normal day's work..

How was MSHA or DEP with the Dirty Jobs episode?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:35 pm 

There are other in the know about the Dirty Jobs episode, but is it my understanding the MSHA went nuts.

There are ways to shoot in a mine, MSHA does training films. But it seems that the entire crew will need 40 hour training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:36 pm 

"How was MSHA or DEP with the Dirty Jobs episode? "

not too good.

the r's got in some trouble for it. a bunch of fines, no need to list them here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:42 pm 

wonder if ol "rowie" will narrate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:30 am 

whats next the firewacker series...?

(no offense doug.. you're alright :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:32 am 

Firewacker?

Now if you're gonna talk wildland and smokejumpers.... that would be a series to watch too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am 

If they are not working in the mines and do so without going over a certain amount of hours , then they will not have to have the WV 80 certification. I have been to this mine. Wished they had picked a larger mine to show. This is a small punch hole. As long as the camera equipment is outby the last open cross cut then MSHA shouldn't have a problem. As far as shooting the front end of miner they normally back the miner up a break or two and shear a rib off to show the front end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:21 am 

The Camera crew did get their 80 certifications for this shoot. State must be cracking down. Used to be you could do certain things underground without this cert. They should have called me cause now I'm certified to teach the 80 hour class. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Very interesting, it does seem that they are doing it legit. I guess thats good stuff, but it seems like there certainly was a lot of red tape..

Miner Greg