Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perspective for New Zealand miners will get grimmer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:17 am 
The world has been watching the scenario outside the New Zealand Mine. Progress has been brought to a standstill, and the perspective is getting worse. The amounts of methane gas within the Pike River Mine are too high at present to mount a rescue. A rescue may be too hazardous to mount, and it isn't known if the men are nevertheless alive.

New Zealand Mine with dangerous gas

The conditions inside the New Zealand mine will determine whether a rescue of the 29 caught miners will happen or not. The Telegraph accounts that dangerously large amounts of methane were shown in the air samples taken three days after the blast occurred on Friday, Nov 12. Coal mining often produces methane. This can cause Mine explosions to occur. A bomb disposal robot will be sent down into the Mine. This will allow the scenario to be assessed better. The robot would stop working though if the air is very rich in methane since it's a battery operated robot that works in fresh air only.

May not function just like the Chilean Mine incident

After the Chilean Mine event that had 33 men walking away, New Zealand officials have been talking to Chilean officials. The difference that makes thing the hardest is the Pike River coal Mine outside Greymouth is a coal Mine while the Chilean Mine was a copper and gold Mine. Dangerous explosive gases are released by coal mines, like methane, because the coal ores composition. USA Today accounts that New Zealand officials are attempting for making sure they are “planning for all outcomesâ€