Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nothern field coal mines
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:43 pm 

I thought you guys would like to see some images from some of the most northern mines in the Lackawanna valley. These mines are in Forest City (Susquehanna Co.) Vandling (Lackawanna Co) and Browndale (Wayne Co.)

Attached are two pictures of "openings" from the Clinton Colliery which is actually in Wayne Co. although acceptable from Vandling which is in Lackawanna Co. The Clinton was owned by Delaware and Hudson Co. I have no idea how far the opening in the pictures of "long slope" went in as we did not have any good lights. This opening can be seen on old photos from "Penn Pilot" in 1939. The two picture of "riverside" are actually under the D & H tracks. This opening is listing in mine drainage articles and seems to have a large amount of drainage at times. Because the D & H owned this and "Coal Brook" in Carbondale, there are references in Department of Mine reports of drainage tunnels connecting the Clinton and Coal Brook.

The picture of "Gray slope" is actually the manway of the Gray Slope mine. This opening is under the O & W tracks. This opening is in Wayne Co. The picture shows a "side" entrance into the manway (i don't understand the reason for this.) The main opening of the manyway has been filled in, but this sid opening remains open. It only run about 200 to 300 ft where the cement stops. After a few props, a "fall" closes it.

The Gray slope was opened in about 1915 and was owned by the "Hillside Coal and Iron Co. (Part of the Forest City Colliery). The coal was transported out of the haulage slope (caved and flooded nearby) by narrow gauge rail to the Erie Breaker in Forest City. This Gray Slope mined the Dunmore #2 and #3 veins. The manway was actually a "drift" and gangways went up at about a 18 to 25 degree angle to the top of the mountain. In the "sixties" the mountain top was stripped mined by a company out of Kingley, PA named "Masters". I remember at that time looking down into the pits and seeing "mine chamber" (props etc).

hope you enjoy the "northern pictures"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:04 pm 

Where in Forest city? I live in FC and would like to see these areas first hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:19 am 

I don't see any pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 pm 

There is a narrow guage RR bridge near Vandling . I assume this was for the Gray Slope operation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:45 pm 

Hey Guys, I am still working on how to post these picture. Bear with me!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:29 pm 

Here are the pictures

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5 ... 586a695592

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:18 am 

the Bridge across the Lackawanna below Vandling was not part of the Gray Slope operation, but rather "the Northeast". Gray Slope haulage was directly from the lines slope, acoss the Lackawann river and D & H railroad via a viaduct up to Oak Street in Vandling where it went "undergroud", the "Vandling Subway" coming to the surface at the top of oak street, then by the #2 rail haulage to the Erie breaker. The abutment for the viaduct still stands on the west side on the D & H "rail to trail" path. The adbutment on the east side of the river is still visable, although mostly collapsed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:28 pm 

That "Clinton Riverside" picture- I've seen that one. Little drainage tunnel off the rail trail. Pretty neat timber work in there from what i recall..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:05 pm 

Plane Jerry wrote:
the Bridge across the Lackawanna below Vandling was not part of the Gray Slope operation, but rather "the Northeast". Gray Slope haulage was directly from the lines slope, acoss the Lackawann river and D & H railroad via a viaduct up to Oak Street in Vandling where it went "undergroud", the "Vandling Subway" coming to the surface at the top of oak street, then by the #2 rail haulage to the Erie breaker. The abutment for the viaduct still stands on the west side on the D & H "rail to trail" path. The adbutment on the east side of the river is still visable, although mostly collapsed.

Great information - thanks.

Post subject: Re: nothern field coal mines
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 am 

I'm re-opening this topic, since I need assistance with the re-write of a D&H Rail-Trail sign at the bridge abutments (Vandling area) that crossed Lackawanna River and D&H/Erie. We are re-doing the 3 signs in this area, that discuss mining operations, Lokies, acid mine drainage, etc.
Our sign indicates the bridge carried a narrow gauge railroad connecting the "Gray Slope Colliery on the east side of the river to mine openings on the west side of the river". So I know this is not correct. Can anyone assist?
I tried to attach a picture using file attachment and it did not work....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:40 am 

Great thread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 am 

Howdy Guys, I am as yet taking a shot at simple strategies to distribute these preview. Experience with me. There is a thin guage RR connect close Vandling . https://arynews.tv/en/category/pakistan/ I expect this used to be for the dim Slope task?