Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 am 

In other news. The Shaw was watching:

BUSTED

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... Id=6504460

MSHA cites W.Va. mine operator for safety violations after inspectors watch 'Coal' on TV
By Vicki Smith, The Associated Press – 3 days ago

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — The first episode of a reality show filmed in a southern West Virginia coal mine had real-world results: Federal inspectors who watched the Spike TV series have cited Cobalt Coal Corp. for activities they say endangered the miners.

In the debut of "Coal," a worker at the Westchester mine in McDowell County used the wrong tool — a 12-inch pick hammer — to pull down loose roof rock for a dramatic collapse that was caught on camera. The Mine Safety and Health Administration said the tool was too small for the job and put workers at risk of being struck by falling rock.

MSHA also cited Cobalt for moving the continuous mining machine when it wasn't cutting coal and allowing a worker to walk alongside, creating the potential for a crushing injury.

It's the first time MSHA has written a violation based on TV footage, spokeswoman Amy Louviere told The Associated Press.

"However, this is the first time that a documentary like this has been taped underground, to our knowledge," she said. "If violations are obvious, they will be cited."

The show debuted March 30 and was seen by 6 million viewers in the first week. The second episode aired Wednesday night.

The violations were written April 5, on the first anniversary of a massive explosion that killed 29 miners at Massey Energy Co.'s Upper Big Branch mine, another southern West Virginia operation.

Cobalt Chief Executive Officer Mike Crowder said he won't judge the motives of MSHA inspectors, but the citations don't make him regret doing the show. Even mistakes, he said, can become teaching tools.

Coal companies today rely mainly on low-quality, "very boring" videos to train miners in safety, he said. If nothing else, the Spike footage can be used to create more vivid clips that can help workers identify and avoid hazards.

"Coal miners and companies and folks like myself, it's our responsibility to keep our miners safe," Crowder said. "We should take these situations — and mistakes, at times — and work together."

The state Officer of Miners' Health, Safety and Training, which had obtained an advance copy of the first episode, cited Cobalt for similar violations even before the show aired.

In a March 23 notice, a state inspector said the potential of the continuous miner to pin a man against a mine wall reflected "an extremely high degree of negligence."

State records show inspectors also cited Cobalt and some individual workers for failing to wear the proper reflective clothing, which ensures a miner can be seen from all directions, and for failing to wear proper eye protection.

The state also cited Cobalt's miners for failing to wear their air packs, called self-contained self-rescuers, and for failing to have a cache of the devices within reach. The air packs produce oxygen through a chemical reaction and are designed to give miners enough time to escape from a contaminated atmosphere.

Both the state and federal violations resulted in safety meetings with the workers.

To shoot in the mine, 10 videographers trained for 80 hours and were certified as apprentice coal miners.

During the filming, which ran from Nov. 9 to Jan. 21, federal inspectors also cited the Canadian-owned company for 19 health and safety violations. There were, however, no accidents or serious injuries.

Cobalt mines a highly valuable metallurgical coal used in steelmaking, but the seam is notoriously thin, forcing miners to work in a space just 42 inches high some 600 feet underground. The tight confines are dramatic but atypical: The U.S. industry is largely dominated by corporations with massive mines that often have hundreds of workers and mining machines larger than houses.

Crowder said reaction to the show has been overwhelming and "passionately positive."

"It's been phenomenal. I would never have imagined there would be such activity," he said.

That includes a surge in demand from coal buyers.

"A good part of business in any industry is your network connections, and our network connections have gone from bottom rung to top rung," he said. "People know who Cobalt Coal is now, and they'd like to do business with us."

People also want to work for him. Crowder said he's had nearly 80 resumes from would-be employees since the first episode.

The show has become a focal point for the industry, too. It was the topic of much discussion at this week's coal mining symposium in Charleston.

"There's so much pride," Crowder said. "There's never been an opportunity like this to tell the coal miners' story — what they do and how they do it and what coal miners do for America."

___

Online:

Spike TV: http://www.spike.com/shows/coal

Cobalt Coal: http://cobaltcoalcorp.com/

Copyright © 2011 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

I hope these guys are getting something for their pain and suffering which will most likely result from fines and penalties related to filming. All they talk about is that they are losing money with the coal mining operation, but are they making anything from Spike to cover those losses? I'd be curious to know..

Same thing with Gold Rush...

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:16 pm 

"welp, hope the shaw wasnt watching that.........."

ahhhhhhahahahahaha, now thats funny........ told ya so..... hahaha. knew that was going to happen, thats exactly what i saw, and a few others that werent mentioned in the article. doug, i saw your response but i wasnt going to put up what i thought was going to be citations on a public forum...... wow. and the article was wrong, rs&w was the first to get cited for violations stemming from the filming of dirty jobs an the woods drift in pottsville. i can also think of one other organization that was busted by state officials for taking a film crew from a pbs station underground for movie/documentary footage......... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:30 pm 

I still miss details. I'm still in the learning mode. But the show has been interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:25 am 

What a bad way to get caught for violations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:16 pm 

WV,

Welcome to the group. There are a couple of other WV guys on board.

Let's see Beaver is just outside of Beckley as I recall. Home of MSHA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 pm 

Your Geography serves you well Douglas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:28 am 

this weeks episode shows my biggest complaint with EVERY coal company ive ever worked for... when the company has trouble its NEVER the operators fault... they always put the blame on someone else, either the men arent doing enough, or the truckers arent hauling enough, or suppliers. if the operators would be better prepared, and think ahead a little, there would be less drama... but i guess thats what "spike" is after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:33 pm 

They definitely turned the drama up on this one.

I wondered why the Boss sit outside for 7.5 hours stewing and not inby.

And the belt brackets. Didn't anyone thing to look back and see how the other sections had been installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:57 am 

Doug wrote:
They definitely turned the drama up on this one.

I wondered why the Boss sit outside for 7.5 hours stewing and not inby.

And the belt brackets. Didn't anyone thing to look back and see how the other sections had been installed.

well, the thought crossed my mind as well... why doesnt he just go UG and check things out for himself? then it came out that he was actually from TN and the thought crossed my mind, maybe he doesnt have his UG card for WV??? if i was gonna operate a mine in another state i think i would make my miners card in that state as well.

as for the brackets... i find it hard to believe with all those "experienced" old timers underground they didnt know how to install bottom rollers. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:00 am 

oh, and for the record. im the section mechanic, second shift on a car section and we can do a belt up (including feeder move) in under 2 hrs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:54 pm 

OK Someone educate me. What is the deal with drill steels blowing out with rock dust?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:20 am 

if you think about whats going on there it makes perfect sense. Your drilling further in the rock but the tailings arent being expelled there being compressed, sooner or later somethings going to give.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:17 am 

That doesn't make sense to me. Rock isn't the easiest thing to compress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:06 am 

Doug when you are drilling the rock turns to dust. There is an open cavity now. The drill steel is hollow with an has suction running through it. If you advance the steel too fast to over come the suction, then the pressure in the hole ( due to the advancing of the steel) becomes so great the only way to alleviate itself is to blow out around the steel itself. Kinda like a diesel engine. Also if the sucktion gets stopped up it will do this because the dust has to go somewhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next