Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top ten dumb questions asked on a coal mine tour.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:06 pm 

After five years at 190. Ive heard it all. Lets see if we can come up with a top ten list.:

My contribution.: After sitting them in the car they ask..." which way are we going". ? My answear. With that you have to be kidding look, I turn my head towards the hoist house, then at the mine..... And look at them again. Usually this results in them putting there head down in embarassment. !!! Really were going right through the hoist house, instead of into that big black hole in the ground..... How did they ever follow directions to find the tour...scarry !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:17 pm 

Are you guys telling visitors that there are tunnels at the 190 big enough to play baseball? Some goof was in my shop and was telling me that and other stuff he learned at "the coal mine tour".

My contribution? I can't stand it when I hear people say the coal companies made millions (which is true) and left town with all the money and us with the waste and scarred land. I feel we deserted them by turning to oil and gas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:35 pm 

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:47 pm 

Well both are only partially true. Yes a lack of demand. But dont forget the water problem was the largest expense the coal companies faced in the final years. Unlike the other fields, the operators in the northern field did not plan for the future. No consideration was given to water when barrier pillars were illegally mined. Lets not fiorget about the PDMI dewatering program. The state paid for the pumps, paid to install them. And when was all said and done the operators wanted the state to foot the bill for there operation . Greeed right there. If it were not for the operators in the southern screaming unfair subsidies, the state probably would have foot the bill for them. I also have an article from 1966. It mentiones the Pennsylvania tunnel, but its main topic was a RARE interview with the president of the Moffatt coal company. He actually let the public know that it was Hudson and Glen Alden ( merged at time of article) that ended deep mining in the northern field when they abandoned all operations. Leaving Moffatt alone to face the pumping To much for one company to handle. Moffatt intended to mine in the northern field till the anthracite ran out. ...I also gave Chris a copy of that article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 pm 

About what percentage of people are surprised to know that they are actually in a real coal mine when they get to the bottom and you start the tour? I've heard moms tell their kids that it was just a mine made for display,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:53 am 

miner490 wrote:
I also gave Chris a copy of that article.

How about inserting "Eric" into that sentence? I fold, what does PDMI stand for? Pennsylvania Department of Mine *****??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:55 pm 

pennsylvania department of mines and industry...I think. Ill find that article and scan it and post it or send it to you. :) Been down lately with a bad infection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:56 pm 

Heard the best question when someone called last week !!!! " does the tour take place underground ?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm 

miner490 wrote:
Heard the best question when someone called last week !!!! " does the tour take place underground ?"

Ha-ha - You should have responded with "no, we recreated the entire underground experience above ground including the air temp and water run-off."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

You guys never got visitors to the coal mine tour who asked what did they mine down here?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:54 pm 

Not YET.... YET being the key word. But today someone did ask if the air in the mine was safe...Like nawwww. Im an alien that doesnt need air to breathe. Thats why your going to suffocate weak earthlings and Im not... thats a DUH question. After a while it gets to you. Anymore I just give them that look like really...... Its to the point Im the most anti social person when I leave work. Talk about burnout. This will be my last year. Not fun anymore. :(

Post subject: Re: Top ten dumb questions asked on a coal mine tour.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:25 pm 
Quote:
About what percentage of people are surprised to know that they are actually in a real coal mine when they get to the bottom and you start the tour? I've heard moms tell their kids that it was just a mine made for display,

WHAT?!!?!?!?!!?
Sure- they spent years and years, not to mention millions of dollars, to make a fake mine, and then bury it. How stupid can you get?
I know that there is one made for that in Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:52 pm 

At Pioneer tunnel the other day a guy was standing LOOKING at both the Steam Engine and Mine motor. Now im sure everybody on this forum KNOWS that a STEAM train uses STEAM and more often then not STEAM can be seen coming from the STEAM train. now he stands there looks at the steam lokie then looks at the mine motor and asks "which one is the steam train?"

Also when there is a mine tour in the mine and the Henry(train) is parked they look at the mine opening, which is in NO WAY anywhere NEAR big enough to fit a STEAM TRAIN in it, and ask "That train fits in there?" :evil: :evil: :evil:

Stupidity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 pm 

almost as good as the people that went to bed recently because they let their generator run in their basement or garage all night/day. genius.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:34 pm 

Nothing wrong with that, as long as it's an electric powered generator. :roll: