Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Black Diamond at Knoebels
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:40 am 

Just came back from Knoebels and i rode the new Dark ride "Black Diamond" and i must say, it is VERY well done. very well themed and just a very well remade ride. It was originally at Morey's pier in Wildwood, NJ as the golden nugget, a mainly western themed ride designed by Bill Tracey who is a Dark ride legend. The golden nugget was three stories and the top floor was outside and desert themed then you went down into the mine settings on the second and first floor. Eventually tho the ride fell to disrepair and eventually closed and sat idle for several years until December 11, 2008 when it was announced that the golden nugget would be demolished and Morey's pier would have a celebration. However a few days before the demolition "somebody" purchased all of golden nuggets track and ride vehicles. It wasn't publicly announced who had purchased it except that it was a park that "loved to rebuild and preserve old rides". then on Jan 26, 2009 it was announced that Knoebels had made the purchase and, while having the exact same track layout, the ride would be re-themed to acknowledge the areas anthracite mining history. Changes made have been, enclosing the entire ride, new effects, a Centralia section with collapsing house and "mine fire" hole, and re-built cars. I know it is labeled as a roller coaster but i wouldn't call it that per say, its mostly mild speeds with a few surprise and quick drops and turns. It IS NOT a "wild mouse" either. It;s not a scary haunted house either so little kids might be a little iffy to enter the place because it is very dim inside and there are a few dark moments but there is nothing scary about it! Knoebels really went all out with this ride and i will go as far as to say this is the most "themed ride in the park" obviously the original Haunted mansion is the favorite, Black Diamond is without a doubt, a very well done and fun look into the world of anthracite mining and i would encourage anybody who has been on the original golden nugget or anybody that loves knoebels to go and and ride this ride! Now all that's left is flying turns....

Post subject: Re: The Black Diamond at Knoebels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:48 pm 

it amazes me how this place only gets better and better.

Post subject: Re: The Black Diamond at Knoebels
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am 

Just this past year knoebels took home two golden ticket awards for best grand carousel and best park food for the 6th year in a row. Plus they where in the top 5 in five other categories including the #4 best dark ride (haunted mansion). #3rd best halloween event. 3rd friendliest park staff. 2nd best wooden roller coaster (phoenix) as well as the 2nd best park overall! Yes that is true you can check on amusement today's website knoebels is second ONLY to Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio. Knoebels is a very rare park, not many places have free addmision and free parking, and if they do those parks don't really have much to brag about. With two world class coasters, cheep and great food, tons of trees which means lots of shade, 2 beautiful campgrounds, short lines on the most busy of days ( have never waited over an hour myself), and not that expensive rides you really can't go wrong! The best part is you dont even have to do anything there! you can just sit around! unlike other parks where, no matter what you want to do, its 10 dollars to park and 60 dollars to get in.