Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many coal mines are left in the UK ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 am 
I just want to ask that how many Coal mines are left in the United Kingdom and where are located they are?

Post subject: Re: How many coal mines are left in the UK ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 pm 

Owen1111 wrote:
I just want to ask that how many Coal mines are left in the United Kingdom and where are located they are?

About a month and a half ago someone posted this question but no one has ever responded. I think that's kinda too bad because I would be interested to know myself if there are many/any coal mines left in the U.K. and especially if there are any underground coal mines still using trams and rail to haul the coal out of the mine.

I can offer a little bit of personal experience here. When I was a kid we visited the U.K. in the summer of 1969 and again in '73. (I know, I know, I show my age here).

Anyhow, in '69 I was really surprised to see how many people were still burning and heating their homes and flats with coal! In Cambridge and some other towns, the sweet, pungent odor of coal smoke wafted in the air. In London and a few other large cities, the use of bituminous coal had been banned but a lot of people were still burning coke.

I saw some coke once while I was there and it looked like the classic Kingsford charcoal briquettes except they weighed about three to four times as much. Pretty cool! I also stayed in a small hotel in Wales that was still using coal gas for heat instead of natural gas.

By 1969, I think, they were already drilling for oil and gas in the North Sea. On our second trip in 1973, nearly all the coal was gone and people were burning gas. Still, this experience allowed me to get a sample of what life in America might've been like in the 1920's, 30's & 40's before the use of coal had largely been abandoned in most areas.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:43 pm 

Many of us think that Owen1111 is a spammer of some sort. From England, but incorrect English. He's live for sure, not robotically generated like a lot of nonsense we got before. But most of us don't have links to websites on the bottom of our comments. These people get paid every time someone clicks on those links. That's prob why no response. I know there are active mines in the UK, but I'm not familiar with locations specifically. Quick Google search might help you out there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 am 

johnr wrote:
Many of us think that Owen1111 is a spammer of some sort. From England, but incorrect English. He's live for sure, not robotically generated like a lot of nonsense we got before. But most of us don't have links to websites on the bottom of our comments. These people get paid every time someone clicks on those links. That's prob why no response. I know there are active mines in the UK, but I'm not familiar with locations specifically. Quick Google search might help you out there.

John,

You might very well be right but the fact that he mentioned mines specifically tends to lead me to believe he might be legit. Usually the worst spammers don't mention the topic at hand at all. (I've had some experience with this since I have my own website with a linked e-mail account).

As for his English, well, I have a couple of thoughts there. He didn't say he was FROM England but just wanted to know how many mines are left there, if any. Or, he could possibly be a foreigner residing in the U.K. Maybe he's actually from Wilkes-Barre and is just going to school in the UK :).

Whether he is a spammer or not, I'd still kinda like to know that myself if there are any British underground mines still in operation with rail haul.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:02 pm 

His info says he's from London. I'm assuming England, not Ontario, but I could be wrong. Some people join message boards and manually plant things. He has a link in blue under his post to a web site. Most people don't do that.

Here's a couple links you can check out:

http://www.ukcoal.com/

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/forum/read.php?4,42104

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Owen1111 was definitely a spammer and is now deleted. Occasionally spammers generate something coherent enough and on topic to spark a discussion, and append a link to their signature after the post has sat a while, applying free backlinks from multiple posts.