Iron Miners
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Use mine water for fracking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm 

Use mine water for fracking

Published: March 19, 2013

The use of polluted mine water in the natural gas fracking process is a good idea. Every gallon of mine water used is one less gallon of fresh water used, and we need fresh water to sustain life.

The concept has bipartisan support in the state Legislature. The 2013 bill, a successor to one that did not pass last year, is stalled in the state Senate over the issue of liability. Drillers are concerned that strict provisions in the law could be interpreted to require them to treat mine water discharged after the need for fracking water ends.

We believe this is an issue that can be resolved fairly for the drillers and the commonwealth. Certainly the drillers did not create the acid mine water problem and they should not be accountable for its cleanup. But, there should be tough safeguards to prevent further environmental degradation as the waste water is used and disposed of after fracking.

A major question before us is this: Will we ever see the use of mine wastewater in the Wyoming Valley for fracking? Most of the active natural gas exploration and development is to our north, so it one thing to applaud the diversion of water from a coal mine in Toga County to fracking, and quite another to consider the millions of gallons flowing from mines in Luzerne County and then going, treated passively or not treated, into the Susquehanna River via its many tributaries.

It seems that it would be uneconomical to haul wastewater to drill sites and it would likely be cost prohibitive to run pipelines. Drilling sites open and close rapidly. That would mean extending pipelines and even removing lines no longer in use.

Wastewater use appears to be something that will occur when former coal mines or outfalls are near drilling activity.

Meanwhile, we will depend on state and federal dollars and environmentally conscious agencies such as Earth Conservancy and the Eastern Pennsylvania Coalition for Mine Land Reclamation to carry on acid mine wastewater treatment projects

Post subject: Re: Use mine water for fracking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 pm 

yea! pump down the mine pool, pump down the mine pool! 8)

Post subject: Re: Use mine water for fracking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:47 pm 

Yea, wouldn't that be nice. :D :D :D :D :D