Iron Miners
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huber mine cars donated to Ashley park
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:11 am 

Huber mine cars donated to Ashley park

By Paul Golias (Correspondent)

Published: November 11, 2013

Two mine cars once used deep underground at the Huber Colliery, Ashley, will be added to the growing Miners' Memorial Park in Ashley.

Ray Clarke, chairman of the board of the Huber Breaker Preservation Society, said the mine cars are being donated by Philadelphia-based Paselo Logistics LLC, new owner of the Huber Breaker and 26 acres of land in Ashley and Hanover Township.

"This is wonderful for our park," Clarke said, "and all the more reason for support of our upcoming film showing. The park will really take shape through 2014."

Clarke inquired about the mine cars, which are on the Huber property. He said attorney Jonathan Comitz, counsel for Paselo, confirmed the donation.

Meanwhile, Clarke said, a Paselo foreman on the site said railroad tracks once used by the smaller-scale mine cars had been located during cleanup and the preservation group will be given enough track to properly display the cars.

Further, Clarke said, Paselo will provide fill for what will become a parking lot.

Paselo paid about $1.3 million for the Huber property, which had been owned by bankrupt No. 1 Contracting Co. The U.S. Bankruptcy Court approved the sale.

The historic breaker is expected to be razed next year. Comitz said there is no timetable for demolition, nor has Paselo firmed up any plan for use of the site.

Cleanup has been under way for several weeks. Steel found on the ground and at least one old dump truck have been hauled away. Comitz said at the time of the closing Paselo officials would work to make the site safe and secure.

The Huber Breaker Preservation Society will show the new film "Tales of the Molly Maguires" at 7 p.m. Nov. 22 at Hanover Area Junior-Senior High School auditorium. The $5 admission fees collected will go toward development of the Miners' Memorial Park.

"Tales of the Molly Maguires" was created by Jim Burke, of Bear Creek, a co-founder of the Anthracite Heritage Society and a key figure in the filming of Hollywood production of "The Molly Maguires" at Eckley 40 years ago.

The Molly Maguires were miners, Irish and Irish American, who fought mine owners in the 19th century. The organization, an outgrowth of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, was infiltrated by an agent working for the mine owners and, in 1877, 10 members of the secret society who had been tried and convicted for murder were hanged in Schuylkill and Carbon counties. The fairness of those trials and whether or not the society even existed have been debated for decades.

Clarke said he hopes for widespread community support for the showing.

"Everyone is invited to attend," he said.

The Newport Community Organization is supporting the showing. The Eckley Players, who are in the film, will take part, Clarke said. Hanover Area has donated use of the auditorium, he said.

The fundraiser will help with plans for a walking trail around the property. The society also hopes to rebuild the powder house and to construct a small museum/movie theater. A more ambitious plan would involve recreating a company house of the type that miners' families rented from the coal companies.

Pavers purchased over the years by Miners' Memorial Park supporters have arrived and installation will provide the starting point for the walking trail around the property, Clarke said.

Clarke said the mine cars, the memorial, a planned new flagpole, the pavers and the walkway "will give us something special to show the children of the area. Our dream was to save the breaker, but we can at least give our kids a piece of history to grasp and hold forever."

The monument to anthracite miners of Northeastern Pennsylvania was dedicated on Memorial Day.

Post subject: Re: Huber mine cars donated to Ashley park
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:13 am 

That was a good show on the demo companies part.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 pm 

Nice! I was hoping that was going to happen! Although the newspaper got their facts wrong, those cars came from the Franklin colliery a short distance away. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:07 am 

It's nice to see its gonna keep history going as most has been forgotten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 am 

yea, the scrapping company said they were going to donate several important aspects of the breaker parts to the the park. its really really nice to see them following through with it!