Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pioneer Days!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 pm 

Anyone without plans for Saturday should go to the Pioneer Tunnel for their annual "Pioneer Days" celebration! Chris and Adam will be there, and ya might even be able to catch them wearing some good 'ol 1890s attire!

Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine Tour
Rt. 61
Ashland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:27 pm 

....or then again you could come visit me at the #190 slope (Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour).

.......nnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

How did Pioneer day go?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:11 am 

pioneer days was awesome :D that was the most fun i had there since last winters work session! there was a huge turnout and the day couldnt have been any better. 75 degrees and bright sun all day! they had people dressed up as old miners who gave tours and they for sure played the part! it was great, we took the people off the train and down the 7 foot gangway and handed them over to the first 2 guys who gave their talk then walked the group to the mule barn where they met the other 2 guys who did their thing. after we did that for a bit we came up with an idea. so one of the other tour guides did our job, we took the trip out and gathered up some tools. we climbed the chute and acted like we were working up there. when they brought the tour by they were all amazed there were (people) up there. it was funny. we were hitting a rock bit into the bottom rock digging a hitch with a 10lb hammer. i guess it sounded real good down on the gangway. adam and i were about 50 feet up and mike a. swung by to do a bit of pick axing up the pitch for a bit also! anyways im not sure how many people came through the mine however there were 3 tours in there at any one time and i bet 30-40 tours came through! a good time was had by all i must say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:01 am 

also i have some vids uploading now, they will be up sometime this evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:03 am 

:roll:

Chris
Were you in there when the 2 know-it-alls where in there?
The bald guy and his daddy?????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:09 am 

i didnt see those 2, there is a chance we were up the pitch when they came through, we were up there and didnt get to talk to anyone, just see them walk below the chute. also there was a half hour period we went out to get food. wish i saw those 2, thats always fun when you get those kind of people....... :? by the way, did you see the tent they had set up where you can throw a ping pong ball into the fish bowl and win a native brook trout? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:46 am 

Yes I did see the brown trout, they were probably the ones from over the mountain that they rescued when the creek went dry, after all there are none past the Duncott school you know...................... :lol:

These 2 idiots were making comments about the mine tour and the daddy was pointing things out to the son that were supposedly wrong inside the tunnel.
After all Daddy was a miner for 47 years and worked at the Porter Tunnel for awhile, so he should know. (Keep in mind we are talking about 2 idiots here)
You would have loved these 2. Son thinks he's the greatest thing. It's all about respect....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:24 am 

correct, its all about respect. yesterday one of the guys was describing how a safety lamp works all wrong, however there is this thing with tour guides that you dont ever correct them in front of a tour and make them look bad, where ever it is........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed... Don't make the tour guides look bad even if you think that got something wrong. You never know when your bit of wisdom is actually what is wrong ... not the tour guides.

Sounds like it was a success.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:50 pm 

Thats true.... being a tour guide i've become pretty good at "shutting down" the people who think they know something i don't.... Its pretty funny really.. 8)

To tell the truth, I've had quite a few miners on my tours, and none of them have ever corrected me on anything. In fact, i've even given them opportunities to correct me if I wasn't sure about something. I don't know everything, and i acknowledge that.
..........For some reason though, it doesn't seem to be the miners, but the general public that "know it all"... you know.. the wannabe miners. "Well, my grandfather worked in the mines, so i know what it's like down here." .....yeah, okay :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:41 pm 

I agree with chris and greg about correcting a tour guide mid tour. Once somebody does that the rest of the group probably starts wondering if the guide knows what he is talking about. Luckily I haven't had that happen to much but, you could almost always tell if somebody is going to "correct" the tour guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:05 am 

Its funny how certain people you can tell right from the start, before one word even comes out of their mouth, that they're going to be a problem :lol: seriously though.... I can anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:58 am 

Hey Keith, those photos were taken at the Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine tour in Ashland, PA

This is the discussion for those photos.