Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UAE Coal Corp. Harmony Mine
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:20 pm 

well guys i have to tell you about this! banks and i got a tour of the largest anthracite mine in the country. the harmony mine in mt. carmel is going on its 3rd million ton of anthracite produced since 1990. its flat pitch and they are now using 2 continuous miners and conveyor haulage. after we went over the map with escapeways and ventilation as well as some other safety traning we recieved our hazard training for the mine and it was time to go in. we rode in on what was basically a golf cart on steroids. there is no rail haulage in the mine except on the new slope they are sinking down the pitch over the side of the mountain. its actually quite unique they found flat pitch in the middle coal field, but the vein instead of outcropping on the side of the hill, runs across the top of the mountain. we were about a mile and a half in where they are conducting "retreat mining" which involves pulling the pillars of coal left to support the top while they were farther in the mine. now they are pulling back out so they can pull coal off the sides of the pillars. we went to the slope that they are sinking and right now they are down about 300 feet. there is no gangways off the sides yet as the pitch is not steep enough to warrant chute mining on gangways, but its too steep for the continuous miners. this was a fantastic experience and as soon as we get the mine operator to go over our photos we will post what we have! till then:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:18 am 

Well guys it is about time you finally made it to an active mine. The miners that work there create the real story & experience behind the mine. I bet watching the equipment operate to was also cool.

Next year we will have to DRAG you guys back out to Ohio to see a LONGWALL machine in action.

AWESOME experience nice job :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:07 pm 

Yeah, It was crazy awesome!! :D :D :D That was the best things I've ever done underground!

I can't wait to get out to Ohio. I'm thinking about coming out at least by easter if I can. Shouldn't be hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Yup, pretty neat sounding from what Chris told me. Its also very interesting hearing about Bituminous mining practices being used in an Anthracite mine. But since they are also sinking a slope, they are still doing (or planning on doing) mining the old style..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:32 pm 

yes once the slope pitches over 45 degrees they will drive gangway and employ more traditional chute style pitch mining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:30 pm 

That mine is seriously like an underground city..... Its so big they might as well have underground street signs and coffee shops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Are they planning on running rails down the gangways for the pitch mining they are planning on performing? Could lead to a neat setup overall with both continuous mining

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:29 pm 

I don't remember if he said about rails in the gangways............ The slope is (obviously) tracked, but they might just run a conveyor system down the gangway to the slope cars. I didn't hear him talking about gangway haulage in the pitch... so I'm just guessing. I doubt they'd be using shuttle cars, but i guess thats possible too.