Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are you a miner who's life's mission is to...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:06 pm 

Are you a miner who's life's mission is to help struggling writers? If so, have I've got a deal for you. :D

I'm working on a novel which takes the events, ideas and people of the American Revolution and places them into the context of a modern-day coal mining town. I just have a few questions right now, it's important to me that I be accurate in my storytelling. I've put up a list of seven questions I have right now on my website (http://www.theShiningCityExperiment.com/coal-mining-questions) I'm sure I'll be adding to the list as I write. If you have any advice you'd like to offer, please check out that page or just shoot me an email, Timothy@TheShiningCityExperiment.com.

I really appreciate any assistance. Take care.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Are you a miner who's life's mission is to...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:51 pm 

Or you can just post the questions here and check back for the answers........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm 

Thanks for the quick response.

Let me go in a different direction first. Is the request to go to the website too much to ask for? I can't think of a way to ask that question without sounding rude but that's in no way how I mean it. What I mean is, I'm doing tons of research right now on a lot of different forums and I'm having trouble keeping track of everything. I have some memory issues. The form on my site is an idea I just came up with yesterday, I thought it would work better for me if I could just direct people to the form if they wanted to help.

My biggest concern with the new form was that I was already asking for help, now I'm adding on to that by asking you to go to my website to help, I was concerned that it was too much. Since it's the first thing that was mentioned here, maybe it wasn't a good idea and I need to find other ways to keep my mind straight, so that's why I'm asking, is the request too much to ask for? That way I'll know whether to use it when I have questions for other groups of people.

The biggest mining questions I have now are related to resources. My novel will tell the story of the American Revolution but it's set in a modern-day coal town. I plan to deal with a lot of political issues and I want to do so fairly, presenting all sides of the issues. There are a lot of videos, books and articles out there that I can use but I don't know enough to know which sources to trust so I thought I'd start with the people who would know, that being you all. I'd also like to avoid stereotypes, but with my limited knowledge on the subject, I don't know what sources to avoid.

The other thing I'd like information on right now would be what miners respect in a person. I know you can't classify miners into one category, but for example, I was a paramedic in the 90's. There were things that, in general, we respected about another paramedic or firefighter that the general public may never even think about, things like whether a person could joke around while working on a patient in the back seat of an upside-down car while the doors are being cut off. I'm looking for those general things, what you all have in common when it comes to classifying people as worthy of respect or not, how you determine whether someone is a good person or not that might be different from the average reader who's not risking their lives at work everyday.

I think that's it for now. Again, thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:43 am 

The issue with asking someone to go to another site is that it is usually spam. I think you'll get better results here doing what Chris said.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:12 am 

That makes sense, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm 

We will be perfectly happy to answer your questions if you post them here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:51 am 

ngunderground, they're in the last two paragraphs of post 3. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:14 am 

I can tell you all day long how to mine coal and different ways to do it. I have no idea how to answer the question your asking there.......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:55 pm 

I'm just learning how to post in here. I have been a coal miner going on 38 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:57 pm 

I was in the union for 36 years. Then became a Longwall Forman.