Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:37 pm 

It did spread under it. There was smoke and heat coming from the bore holes they dug on the other side of the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:42 pm 

gotcha ya, :) now would a goverment official lie(im being sarcastic) LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Although if there are just open mine workings that the bore holes were sunk into, it is possible that the fire hasn't reached them yet and there is just smoke and steam coming up the bore holes.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:53 pm 

I tend to agree, the Green Ridge fire is miles away from where the actual fire was. Yet there were elevated temps. in boreholes. If you can touch the borehole or probes it cant be that hot ? right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:32 am 

yet now we're comparing something where we know the actual fire is miles away to a borehole thats physically less then 50 meters from surface flames... i mean how can you be sure it hasnt spread? how can they be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:19 am 
Site Admin

I would think you could tell by temperature.. You drop a probe down there and measure the temperature. Is the ground hot there? If the groud is hot, it probably is burning under there.. But you would have to imagine that the workings are completely full of steam and smoke in that area. So any bore hole in the immediate area would probably be exhausting..

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:10 am 

took jen up there on a little off road adventure yesterday. the hill was still totally snow covered and yella made it up in 2wd still. i love that truck, anyways we went to that bore hole and now that wire is cold. there is no heat coming out of that bore hole anymore. but it was definatly venting mine air. you could smell it. plus it was blowing out fog. not steam from the mine fire just fog from the warm mine air hitting the cold outside air. this was the bore hole across the road on the sewer line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

That is kind of interesting. Why is there no steam coming out of it anymore? You'd think the fire wouldn't move away from the that area of the mine. Could there have been a cavin that is preventing the air from venting out of that bore hole? Kind of strange...

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:27 pm 

probably was just mine air in the first place :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:32 pm 

oh boy here we go........ :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:43 am 

In todays Scranton Tribune/Times there was an article about the mine fire. Kinda felt bad for OSM. The small town mentality is taking over. The end result was a Pittston PA firm is going to start drilling boreholes to determine the exact location of the fire. This is the same method used on the green ridge mine fire. It was out with in a year. They will probably flush the area, which will smother the area. Mr Kuhns(OSM directer) had a good point. As far as digging out the fire, there is a danger to the men and equipment in the form of subsidences i f this was attempted. Second point was that each mine fire is different. To treat every mine fire the same, is wrong. The geography, geology, underground conditions,(mined out, or not) etc. This makes the approach different as well. As far as borehole temps. God knows what it is like below ground. I imagine there are alot of roof falls with the heat. One week a tunnel could be open, and vent. Next week it could collapse, and wont. Also as I learned from the Green Ridge mine fire report I copied, heat can travel great distances. Through both tunnels, and rock. Temps in boreholes can vary day to day. A change of 400 to 1000 degrees in a single week is not unheard of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:04 am 

kid katie write the article?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:04 pm 

just talked to her and i answered my question. ours will be in the paper in 2 or 3 weeks on asunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm 

Just got done looking at the final report on the Green Ridge mine fire(1962) I thought it odd that the mine fire there did not burn up , but rather in a south west direction along the mountain. It also did not burn into the rock bed about 60 ft above the 14 ft/Pittston bed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:39 am 

was up at the fire today.... it's burning orange in the cracks in the rock face in the ravine to the left of the road (going up). Cool looking.... Probably a lot of that rock face will fall after a while. on the way down the hill, coming to the jackknife turn we saw the podunk pulling into the pull off where the entrance and exit ramps end. ....damnit.... I stopped on the hill, and he kept rolling, turned around, and headed out again toward olyphant like he never saw us. whew..

I got to the bottem of the hill and was just about to turn onto the highway when he came rolling up the other way and did a U turn behind me.... i pulled over before he even had his rollers on. Got out of it though.... just told him the truth...taking a look at the mine fire - no drugs trash or alcohol.... aparently people have been taking their trash up there and dumping it on the fire... (of course) newer cop... didn't know chris... yet.

intresting experience though....

.....and to add to it... this month I have officially had my driver's licence for a year. In that year I have had 4 run-ins with the podunk ( 2 in the last week), 5 points put on my licence, and 1 three month suspension.
......damn i'm doin good!

:twisted:
later
Banks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next