Iron Miners
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huge Carbondale Subsidence
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:53 pm 

Wow, i found this from the airplane today. we got over 10 inches of rain in the last 3 days and have some serious flooding problems, water going in the pa tunnel, river overflowing its banks in scranton and olyphant. its pretty bad. anyways up in carbondale they have their own problem. seems when the highway (rt 6) was built in the 90s they channeled the runoff water into the mines there. so with all this rain it all built up and a shaft cap pretty much exploded from the pressure and for a while water was shooting out of this 8 foot square air shaft. now its slowed down to just running out of it but the flow is still estimated at 100,000 gal per hour! its pretty sick, flooding all of carbondale, dozens of houses flooded and many streets as this happened in a back yard up on a hill. so bob and i went to check on it and heres the story. the moral is put amr stickers on your vehicle!

got to carbondale to the blocked off road. told the traffic cop we are with amr documenting the subsidence, he said ok sir ill move the baracade and go up the hill take a right and its on your left in a yard. just follow the water. so i said ok, as we drove away laughing. there was sooo much water in the road we had to drive in the center cause you couldnt see the sides and it was washed out 3-4 feet deep. boulders all over the place. so we got to the top and this guy, (who we later found out was the chief of police) is like how did you guys get up here, didnt you see the baracade and all that water. just as i was about to open my mouth he spots the amr on the window of yellow. he says, oh im sorry sir, abandoned mines, its about time you guys showed up. here park over here. so we were about to blast through the water when this yahoo in a pt cruiser comes flying up behind us and almost rear ends us. the cop starts yelling at him. he really reamed him out but he blasted off. well the cop had some other guys cut him off and gave him 3 tickets for like reckless endangerment, reckless driving and driving too fast for road conditions. it was funny. he was telling him he almost rear ended some important people.... us. that was funny. so we park where he told us to then said, cmon fallow me ill take you to the mouth of the problem. we walked through this yard and up to the shaft. theres like 100 people watching all of this. we took lots of pics and then the cop said, hey the mayor is on his way up and wants to talk to you guys. so we waited around and shot the shit with him for a bit. he is cool he is only 27. so he was asking what we are going to do, if we fix it or what. we said osm will take care of the problem, we document this kind of thing since no one else does for home owners to have pics for insurance purposes. so then he took me to the home owners. they said its good we took shots since no one else thought to and wouldnt until the water went down then they wouldnt see the damage. so we exchanged info and i told them if they need any copies of the pics to get a hold of me and ill get them to them. it was cool, we were the authorities there. we really sounded good, i guess we know what we are talking about after all. so we plugged osm and told them they do a good job fixing stuff and i guess they were already there a few hours before us. see now we all need amr graphics on our vehicles.

and the pictures.......

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... =4274#4274

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:03 am 

wow, that's hilarious. nice job. you guys came up with this on the fly?

oh, yeah i'm out in utah right now, then to colorado in august. let me know if any of you get out this way. we'll have to hook up when i'm back this christmas.

john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:47 am 

Chris Awesome dude! AMR was on the sceen! Sticker request! Sticker request! Next time I see you man hook me up with the AMR stickers that you have! I'll put them on my vdub. Oh yeah and I'll have that video footage of you from Pine Ridge too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:02 pm 

SWEEEEEET! Thats SOO Aweseom! I wannt go chack that out.......i'm stuck here with cleanup though. I'm on lunch now.. blaahhhh

did you use the 150 or the jump plane?
sweeet

Banks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:01 pm 

the jumping bean. figured id be down low by the water and wanted the power to climb back up. plus the 182 is faster :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Id be curious to see the level of the water in the shaft after the water dies down. I have a feeling there is probably water in the shaft all of the time, it just went up and out of the shaft because it had no where to go. We'll have to look at it before OSM recap's it. It will probably be a little while before they do that.