Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IronMiners and UGM in Southern Field Mine
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

We recently came across pictures of a “never before seen coal mine in the middle-field anthracite deposits of Pennsylvaniaâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 pm 

:lol: :lol: Nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:08 pm 

Hey guys,

I didnt mean to cause any confusion, indeed one of our members was taken to this mine by Ironminers and UGM a few years back. We still had to find it over the course of two weekends since its been such a long time.. Its a great mine which we are lucky to have had the chance to examine.

The wording on this mine was my choice and I labelled it as "never before seen" being that I have never seen it featured on this site or UGM. I know UGM has a great collection of photos without names but I wasnt ready to examine each and everyone one of them to determine if it was this mine.

Anyway nice to hop back on here after awhile. We've been very busy on our end with lots of mines and potential leads, covering allot of ground from Coal to Uranium and everything in between.

Mike, great job with the Ely Mine photos :), good to see one of the groups touching Vermont now.

Be safe, and happy mining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Dan,

Great to hear from you and am glad you are finding new leads, keeping busy, and making new discoveries! Hey, you should have just asked, I could've saved you some time hunting down Nesquehoning. :) Its unfortunate that since we were first there the trolley wire has been entirely stripped for its scrap value. It is a sad reminder of the current economic times and makes me think of the time during the war when the rails and iron were removed from many of the mines around here, long after they were abandoned.

The Ely Mine is definitely worth a visit. Unfortunately the main adit is a little tough to find so let me know if you decide to go or any of the other VT mines. It is a long enough trip getting there, no point in wasting time to find all the openings (and there are a few). CT Mike mentioned you guys were getting more serious into rapelling. If there is anything any of us can share in terms of safety or tips, please don't hesitate to ask, or let us know your location during more risky explorations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:57 pm 

Thanks Mike. Part of what we enjoy is the discovery, going out and finding these mines ourselves, despite that you've been to a certain place before, we still like the "hunt" and research needed to lead us to these locals. I'm sure you can relate with your search for the Wallkill Lead Mine. I was quite surprised you guys actually found it, too bad its now terribly flooded. Do you have any plans to finish the shawangunk lead mines? I know there are a few more out there that need to be found as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Hey Dan,

Pennsylvania is a little out of the way, so as long as you don't mind the "hunt". :) We're happy to help you guys. As for the Shawangunks, we're still making discoveries. Recently we discovered a miners spoon and a primitive hand drill from what appears to be a very early 19th century adit. There seems to be a lot of undocumented mining that went on in the Shawangunks so it seems like we're far off from finishing (which is a good thing!).