Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Day at Pioneer Tunnel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:12 pm 

So anyways after last weeks derailment i figured i couldnt cause any more damage there....... well we went there pretty early and took a trip up the pitch to the second opening. that was pretty exciting. got checked out giving tours, banks and i gave our first 2 tours there today. that was pretty cool. ran the mine train in 3 times for practice, then gave a few tours. banks gets his checkout next sat. so then they were having a little problem with their other mine motor.... the one we derailed....... so i took a look at it. the speed controller had a contact that kept spinning and would jam up the controller not letting you change speed, or stop! so i took it apart for a little looksey. seems the contact had 2 brass pins to keep it from spinning since it only had one screw in the center. so i got 2 pins made out of brazing rod, drilled out the broken off pins, cleaned it all off with contact cleaner and coated everything with contact goo again. so we covered it up and called it good. well it was about then that it was time for the steam engine to go to bed and they needed the mine motor to put all the cars in the barn. so the one kid who helps out there wanted to pull the motor out. well, last week after the derailment i figured i couldnt screw anything up that bad......... well tonight we caught it on fire! :lol: so he pulled the motor out, but all the fumes from the contact cleaner built up in the covered speed control and lit off. thump. next thing you know he yells and bails out. we pulled the power, hit the brakes, pulled off the lid and hit it with the extinguisher. it was pretty funny. the grease at the bottom of the controller caught fire. so, lesson learned make sure all contact cleaner has evaproated before working mine motor and dont drive the mine motor all the way to the end of the stripping pit...... cant wait till next weekends lesson plan! :D ps, pics of all of this will be on here and the ugm site probably tomorow night, but none of the fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Very nice.. I understand the picture thing as it wouldn't be to good sitting there taking pictures of a controller on fire while you should be putting it out! Glad none of the wiring burnt up and the controller is still working!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:36 am 

Yep, thats the one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:05 am 

you should give me a shout when the tour opens back up. the date will be posted here. banks and i can give you a "good" tour! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:58 pm 

Chris, I have been there with my wife. I hope to bring my grandsons there this year so they can see first hand ,the coal mine. Perhaps you and Banks will also give us "the good tour".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:01 pm 

naw, i know a guy who just left there and he was only making 16. but, we do plan on getting in there for a tour. i think in the spring. that will be pretty cool. as for the tunnel, tell the wife we will take care of her, the mine is inspected every morining by the foreman and its an extremly safe mine. actually there is no dangerous part of the mine at all. she wont even get dirty :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:00 pm 

yea, you should see the maps to some of the old mines we go in. they are pretty extensive up here (scranton-wilkesbarre) also. as for pioneer, let me know when you are planing on coming down. gimme a weeks notice, ill set up a good tour, plan on spending some extra time there.

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:40 pm 

hey, its good to have another coal boy on here, where are you from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:25 am 

seems to be the case everywhere... people remember them and wish they would have explored them or took more photos when they were around. That's what we're trying to do now... preserve what IS left. coooool 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:32 am 

hey there cap'n, is the rossini coal co carbon run collery breaker still standing? i was there last spring and the word was that it was coming down soon.....

john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:39 am 

Still up as of yesterday morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:56 pm 

Yeah, Mr. Rosini wants to build a new breaker in the same location. The Shamokin Creek Alliance has been looking into the property to treat the dicharge just southwest of this. We dont know when the new breaker will go up, or when the old one will come down. But I dont expect it to be up too much longer.

If your planning on going down there, the road from Rt. 125 to the breaker has collasped into the creek, so it would best to get there from 5th St. in Shamokin.

D.