Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coal Brook Power House
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Hey,

Anything left in the Coal Brook powerhouse? I was looking on the UGM site at the Northern Field pictures. The powerhouse was still loaded with ancient Ingersol - Rand air compressors which were used in the mine. Looks like old water pumps, and other stuff. Is any of that stuff still there? If someone had a place to put them, those would be some great historic machinery which probably would still operate.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:15 am 

those pumps were taken out awhile ago. i think somone either rescued them or stole them. they were taken out before the place started to get destroyed. havent been up there in awhile, i have to stop by and see whats left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:51 pm 

heres two pics from today. took abunch more to put on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

It is amazing that two of the sights of interest on the Northern Fields tours are gone if not more (Coalbrook and Lehman 179 tipple). It seems like we are the last ones snapping away at the remains of a once thriving industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Looks like they are going to blow the building up.. They went after the bottom columns to expose the steel. They are probably going to blast them...

What ashame this is. This was a cool building, filled with a lot of history. More history just washing away... Too bad no groups ever went after this to try to save it. The building was in pretty bad shape from when I saw it, it probably could have been saved..

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:33 pm 

possible, this is the same way the rest of the building came down but not sure now, since i wasnt there when it fell. also to mention, i checked on our little pile of "goodies" hidden outside the perimeter of the place. still there, adam grabbed one. need to go back to liberate it all before someone finds them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:25 pm 

destroy our history bit by bit, same with the showerhouse at the pine ridge colliery in miners mills pa, instead of modernizing it and actually having a building with some architectural character we knock these buildings down and put up clone buildings of ugliness, bravo, that sure is progress! and yes i feel as tho i am one of like 20 people recording the absolute and final death of the northern field forever, total baloney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:37 pm 

chris i went the day after they tore down the wash house at p.r. back in august i was going to try to get you the 1920 stone but that was either destroyed or buried or taken, i figured you would have maybe wanted it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:57 am 

so adam and i stopped by coalbrook yesterday. the part of the building that housed the steam turbine is gone and only a small portion of the boiler house remains. however the concrete podium that has the turbine on it still stands with debris all over it. i wonder if it is possible to leave this and the turbine on top. it would look cool if there is to be some sort of building here if this thing was in the middle of the parking lot. it looked alot better in the building, but if it is being destroyed why not do something with it.