Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rich Arsenopyrite Vein Found in Monroe,CT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:34 pm 

Hello, it's Jeremy. I'm sorry I haven't been on in a while, don't worry, i haven't forgotten about you guys :)

Well, all those familiar with mining here in Connecticut have probably heard of Lane's Bismuth mine, it's a small mine producing very little ore but is famous for being the type-locality (meaning place of discovery) for the rare Tungsten Oxide mineral, Tungstite.This mine has a fair amount of other interesting micro minerals but nothing of interest that is more than 5mm long. Anyway, I found a second oucropping of the quartz dike that was mined for Bismuth, it's about 2 miles away in the middle of an office-park type building where trucks are loaded. It's by no doubt the same orebody because of the unique inclusions of this weird highly iron-rich, fibrous mafic rock, the mineralogy is very much differnt though and there are smaller veins very much rich in Arsenopyrite (>20% in some of the richer pieces which is actually quite considerable because it was never officially explored for minerals although it has potential to be mined for Arsenic, if someone really wants to (I feel very sorry for the people stuck with the job of mining Arsenic ore or working in a former mine such as Getchell where Orpiment and Realgar are so common.), but this is unlikely. What is likely is that this place will be visited by rockhounds for specimens,I found some extremely sharp Arsenopyrite crystals- they are probably some of the better ones ever found in Connecticut (that's easy to say, Arsenopyrite is not exactly common in Connecticut. In fact, I had never seen a Connecticut Arsenopyrite before I found this place).