Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Over 6k miners killed every year in China
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:06 am 

I would be interested in seeing why there are so many deaths. Below is an article about another mine explosion in china, at the end they mentioned 6k miners die a year. I think they need a few flame safety lamps!

BEIJING, China (AP) -- A blast at a coal mine in southern China killed 15 people, the official Xinhua News Agency said Monday.

The explosion occurred Sunday at the Zhongxing Colliery in Guizhou province's Qinglong County, Xinhua said.

Eight of the 41 miners working underground at the time of the explosion were killed instantly, Xinhua said. Seven others were trapped inside the shaft and were assumed dead after 20 hours of rescue operations, it said.

Three miners were injured, it said.

The cause of the accident was under investigation.

China's mines are said to be the most dangerous in the world, with more than 6,000 miners killed last year in fires, explosions, floods, cave-ins and other disasters.

The government says it has shut down hundreds of unsafe mines and punished mine owners who put profits ahead of lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

It is always true that most mining accidents that occur are due to carelessness. Whether this is carelessness on the miner's part or the management and/or government officials as is the case in China, most accidents can be avoided. Local government officials who are often involved in the mining efforts, are to blame for being more concerned about profits for their local economies than for the safety of their miners.

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:22 pm 

I've read that China has an insatiable thirst for Coal, and it just keeps growing. Their dependance on coal was like our dependance on it in the early 1900's. they have a problem where they need more coal production to sustain growth, but thats going to cost more lives.

The chinese miners work 10 hours a day 7 days a week and they bring in about $120 dollars a month. 15 die everyday in the mines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

It makes me wonder, but China's dependence on coal, will that increase the price of coal to the extent that it reopens the US market as a coal provider. There is still a lot of coal left in the US, but the low prices for coal makes it not profitable to mine in the US. At priices in the US of coal going from $23 a ton for underground and $11 a ton for surface mined coal, it is difficult to mine enough tons of coal for it to be worth your efforts. Coal is still used in the US, but a lot of it is imported from out of the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:11 pm 

Miner Frank,

Yeah they don't care over there but if any large scale mining were to take place in PA I would have my mining hat and gear ready to mine! Frank let me know if you want a copy of the paper back book that we talked about the last time I saw you. Thanks

Miner Bond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:26 pm 

Hey Frank,

I wouldn't mind at all bringing the book along for the next time we meet. We should get together with Miner Mike for another trip soon. Let me know which Mine that you would like to visit from the Mines list on the site. Oh and Miner Mike would know of more information about our NJ Miners. He's a walking book of knowledge! :D Thanks

Miner Bond 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Some of the most compelling information and stories come from the miners themselves. I'm fortunate to know a few former miners and work with one at the Sterling Mine. They will tell you details about mining, mines and the culture of the miners unlike anything you'll read in any book. All of the miners I have ever spoken to loved their job and would talk about their experiences with great enthusiasm.

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

This picture makes you stop wondering why so many people get hurt and killed in China from mining accidents. It is really outragous that this miner would be allowed to work without any safety gear what so ever. First off he is wearing shorts, no head protection, no lung protection from coal dust, a most likely non-permissable flash light, no backup light, no "self rescurer" for CO in the event of a fire, and the list goes on. I would have to agree with the primitive comment as small ponys, Ox, and later Mules were used in 18th century mining to do the hard labor work. Amazing that the company and government down there must consider it to be cheaper to just use a large number of Humans to cart coal on their back than it is to use Mules or electric trains pulling Mine Cars to remove coal from the mines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:44 am 

Wow I lost count!!
Our Miners are a lot smarter and safer than they are! I guess they all have death wishes are something. Pretty strange and stupid! You wouldn't catch me not wearing any safety equipment in a mine or even in a cave for that matter. Saftey first! Thanks for the picture!

Miner Bond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Funny we wear better safety gear entering abandoned mines than chinese coal miners do working in active ones. And in any abandoned coal mine, a flame safety is a MUST!

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

I would probably worry more about bad air in one of those unsafe mines in China than here actually. Who knows how badly the air is ventilated and what kinds of explosive gases are down there. Methane is released during the process of blasting coal so that would be a very big problem in an active mine which doesn't observe any safety standards. I would probably say that the abandoned mines here are safer than the active mines over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:05 pm 

Wouldn't want to mine over there! Here I'm ready but only with our best miners! :D

Miner Bond 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:02 am 

here we go again.....................

QITAIHE, China - Coal dust caught fire in a mine in northeast China, sparking an explosion that killed at least 68 people and left 79 missing, the government said Monday, as the country's leadership called for tighter work safety measures. Some 221 miners were underground when the blast occurred late Sunday at the Dongfeng Coal mine in Qitaihe, a city in Heilongjiang province, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:34 pm 

update......................

QITAIHE, China - The death toll in a massive coal mine explosion in northeast China rose to 134 late Monday and 15 miners were still missing, state media reported as the country's leadership called for tighter work safety measures. Coal dust caught fire at the mine in the city of Qitaihe on Sunday while 221 miners were working underground, the official Xinhua News Agency said. More than 70 miners were rescued, it said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:43 am 

I just don't understand the way they do things :shock: They are a bunch of weird miners that just want to die I guess :shock:

Not I said the FLY! :D

Miner Bond