Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Richard Mine head frame and water tanks DESTROYED!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:19 pm 

Hi all,
I went hiking in Mt. Hope this weekend to see the mines I didn't get to last year and saw the Richard Mine complex is in the process of being completely destroyed. The Head frame remains are being ground up and 1 of the 2 water tanks is now gone.

Anyone know what is going on here? Is this part of the Mt. Hope Historic Park or is this private property?

If it is public park land then I am livid that they are destroying OUR history. If it's private, while being disappointed, I can understand the land being reused or devolved. Does anyone know if this is part of the park??

Here's a few pics. To see the rest of the carnage, go to my Photobucket page. They will be at the end of the Mt. Hope Mines album.

Head frame:

Last remaining water tank:

Both water tank and head frame remains:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:36 pm 

do you have any pics of the headframe before it was destroyed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

How pitiful that a park named "Mount Hope Historic Park" with a plaque commemorating Richard Mine should actively engage in destroying its history. Now there is almost nothing to see in this "historic" park except for a few reclaimed holes and tailing piles. The Historical Society of the Rockaways was not even there to save it, in fact they helped take a lot of it down. What do you do when your own town's historical society does nothing to save historical landmarks but further destroys them?

Yes, I do have some pictures over the years including a vintage shot. I will post these on the site to commemorate a great piece of history forever lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:57 am 
Site Admin

I took some shots of what was left this past summer.. And I've got some shots after one of the historic towers was knocked down. Apparently they finished cutting that tower up from looking at the pictures.

This is really ashame as the Richard Mine group is a very important part of the town of Rockaway's history. It was so important that they created a park out of it. If the purpose of the park is to mark the history in it, why would you destroy the history in it once you were successful at saving the park from development? It doesn't make any sense.

Once a historic structure is destroyed, it is gone for ever. While these building were in rough shape, they were land marks of what was. What made Rockaway what Rockaway is today. Towns were formed because of the miners who use to work and die in the mines. Communities were created. These building were reasons to walk the trails created by the Park Commission. Unfortunately acts like these will continue and I don't understand why people aren't learning from their mistakes. History only happens once, if you destroy what is left from it, there is no chance of getting it back.

Miner Greg

Last edited by Miner Greg on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

For some vintage shots of the Richard Mine complex, please visit http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/viewtopic.php?p=8940.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:48 am 

I emailed the Morris County Park Commission and got a reply. I'm awaiting some further clarification and permission to post their reply's here.

One thing they did say it that the water tank was damaged by a teenage vandal who stole a piece of construction equipment and used it to damage the tank and "over 100 trees." They also say this teen was caught and fined 30K.

I then asked if this same person damaged the building remains and if that is the reason they are being completely removed.

I got back an auto reply stating the person I'm talking to will be out of his office today so, I might not get a reply for a day or two. I'll let you guy's know what I find out.

Mike D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:31 pm 

thats what i was getting at was the headframe still there too, and was that scrapped? any recent shots of that? not many headframes left, especially in the anthracite fields. i think we have 2 and one is slated for scrap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:58 pm 

Ok,
Latest info from the park commision is that:

1, The second water tank will not be removed.

2, The Richard Mine buildings are not in the park. These are on private property so it's not the MCPC who destroyed the head frame\concentrating building.

Here is the e mails they sent me:

<<<Dear Mr. DeCarlo

I am in receipt of your e-mail this instant and glad you have an interest in the Mount Hope Historical Park and in particular the preservation of the historic features contained within.

Nearly one year ago, a minor stole from a nearby construction site heavy equipment and caused the damaged that you noted in the e-mail that was forwarded to my office. Additionally, this same juvenile caused damage to over 100 trees within the park.

The Morris County Park Commission Park Police under the direction of Detective/Sgt. David Doyle conducted a very professional and successful investigation of this senseless crime. I am please to report that this person was found guilty and fined over $30,000.00 by Judge Dangler in Morristown. However, no amount of money could restore the historic water tank that was damaged beyond repair.

Additionally, still under investigation is an arson fire that was set in this area and to one of the water tanks.

If you or anyone you know has any information about these or any criminal activity that took or is taking place at the Mount Hope Historical Park, I would encourage you to contact either myself or Detective/Sgt. Doyle immediately.

Again, thank you for the time and interest in the Mount Hope Historical Park!

Doug Brown

Historic Site Manager

Morris County Park Commission>>>

2nd one:

<<<Dear Mr. DeCarlo ~

All damage was caused by this and other vandals - including ATV riders in the park. We will take a look at the site in order to determine to see if any new activity has occurred. The second tower is secured and will stay in place.

Agree - we all thought it would have been saved; however, the activities of a few people:(

Doug

Sent: Wed 1/31/2007 1:44 AM
To: Brown, Doug
Subject: RE: Mount Hope

Hi Mr. Brown,

Thanks for the timely reply. Could you please clarify a few things for me? Did this vandal also damage the former head frame and concentrating building, and is this the reason the remains are being jack hammered and removed? Will the 1 remaining water tank be removed as well? Can you tell me what is planned for area where this building once stood? It looks like they will be removing the broken up concrete once they are done tearing everything down. What will be left there?

I have been exploring this area for close to 20 years now, and always enjoyed poking around the remains of the head frame building. I am extremely upset to see this building destroyed after so long. I had thought that once this land became a park, These remains would be preserved for future generations to examine. Isn't the whole point of a Historic park to preserve the area rather than demolish the structures? As you know, once these things are gone, they are gone for good. >>>>

3rd one:

Dear Mr. DeCarlo ~

Our Manager of Buildings and Construction inspected the Mount Hope Historical property this afternoon.

He found two large machine track hoes with 6 foot hammers on private property located adjacent to the MCPC property that are capping a shaft. All the work and features you are looking at are on private property and are not owned by the MCPC.

Regards,

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:03 am 
Site Admin

That is surprising to hear the Richard Mine buildings are on private property especially considering the HSotR claimed to have helped tear it down. Well I sure hope the park commission takes care of what little is left for one to interpret of one of the most important iron mines in the state.

Post subject: open shaft at Richard Mine (sort of)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:44 pm 

There are still some good / interesting things to see at Richard Mine. I was there a few wks ago, poking around the site that the Park Commission refers to as Richard Shaft #2. You can see that this shaft was developed over many years, as there is evidence of early stonework and later masonry at the site.

What was most interesting was the dark spot under some leaves. I kicked the leaves aside to reveal a 6 inch diameter hole going down into the ground, as far as the flashlight would allow me to see. A draft was blowing up from the hole, leading me to conclude that there is another opening elsewhere.

Richard may be badly wounded, but he's still breathing!
Rob

Post subject: use caution near subsidences
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:27 am 

Frank,
Thanks for the word of caution. I am fully aware of the possibility of collapsed cribbing providing a limited cap. There are lots of these around Irondale. No, this hole is different. It appears to be in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking. However as you point out, I'm a little concerned about the surrounding earth and its firmness, although the ground around it is level. I didn't get too close to where the actual shaft was located, since there were a lot of leaves covering the ground. Ya never know what's hiding underneath.

A short distance away is a steel shaft sticking up out of the ground that has collapsed around it. That is a major heads-up to be cautious.

I agree with you, that the Park Commission should post interpretive signage. We could assist them with info/phots. What's interesting about the return e-mail to Mike from the Park Commission is that they state that a shaft is being remediated on private property. Which shaft would that be?
Happy Exploring!
Rob

Post subject: use caution near subsidences
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:37 am 

Frank,
Thanks for the word of caution. I am fully aware of the possibility of collapsed cribbing providing a limited cap. There are lots of these around Irondale. No, this hole is different. It appears to be in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking. However as you point out, I'm a little concerned about the surrounding earth and its firmness, although the ground around it is level. I didn't get too close to where the actual shaft was located, since there were a lot of leaves covering the ground. Ya never know what's hiding underneath.

A short distance away is a steel shaft sticking up out of the ground that has collapsed around it. That is a major heads-up to be cautious.

I agree with you, that the Park Commission should post interpretive signage. We could assist them with info/phots. What's interesting about the return e-mail to Mike from the Park Commission is that they state that a shaft is being remediated on private property. Which shaft would that be?
Happy Exploring!
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Rob, this would be the Sweetser Shaft they are reclaiming. The Sweetser shaft was a four compartment vertical shaft reaching a depth of 1244 feet deep. This was the main hoisting shaft until the mine closed in the late 1950's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:42 am 

On one side I'm very happy that Mike was able to capture and document the area years ago and on the other side I'm upset with the destruction of the area. Why does this state have to destroy history? What is it gaining? Thanks again Mike for getting those pictures and providing the information.

Bond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:27 am 

Its Jersey! I have come to the conclusion that Jersey hates itself. Look at Asbury Park. That was once an awesome place along time ago but the politics and greed destroyed it, along with countless other places.