Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adit near Purdys, NY?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:21 pm 

While wandering around just east of Purdys, NY, near the reservoir, I saw something that looked like a small mine working with a walled up adit. It was rather hard to see fully (and now harder with the snow). What is this mine?

Yes, I need some better info sources than what I have.

--
Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:48 pm 

Will - the largest mine in that area was the Clover hill mine, i have never been able to find it so this might just be it!! I will need more precise location of what you found to know for sure, which you can PM to me if you wish. i have found small adits in that area that have no trails going to them but never one that was walled over. -Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:52 pm 

When the snow clears up, I will try to get a more precise location. It is just north of the water. Google Earth is very good in the area, so I should be able to pinpoint it.

--
Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:09 pm 

i have a topo map with a all the mine workings in that region, theres quite a few of them, let me know when you pin point it, is it off a road or just in the middle of the woods , was it walled up with cinder blocks or stone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, any information you can find would be great. I understand it is more difficult this time of the year, but some of the map sites provide some good views in these areas. I'd also recommend Mapquest and even Microsoft's. Sometimes on map areal view map company has older maps in a region than another one does. Google maps has been poor until recently.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:57 pm 

I took a good look at the mystery spot near Purdys this afternoon, and I really do not know what to think now. The local area has the "scar in the land" look about it, and the stream nearby probably could not have caused such erosion.

While up at the "adit" - I hiked right up to it - it appears the rock is not made up like a wall, just extremely fractured. Some of these fractures are quite wide (inch or so) and go very deep into the rock - I could not see the end of some of them. At the base of this "adit" is a bunch of snow and debris built up like a talus cone - or rocks shoved up against something of interest. A better look, in the Spring, may reveal more.

In a few days I can pull some pictures I took off my camera.

As there seems to be a unwritten rule amongst sites like this that exact coordinates not be revealed (so every Tom Dick and Harry does not overrun the places - I am in favor of this), I have sent them to Miner CTMIke.

--
Will