Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bull Frog Mine under attack
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:03 pm 

This came to me 2nd hand, but word is that the property adjacent to the Bull Frog Mine on Dewey Ave., Wharton, is being eyed by yet another developer who wants to build townhouses on it. What makes this one different is that they "will do whatever it takes" to fill the stoped underground void.

Apparently the previous developer was scared-off by what was discovered under the surface. Since that discovery came to light, "Danger - No Trespassing" signs have been posted every 15 feet all along the construction site, as well as the Bull Frog Mine (which was simply fenced-off before). Based on that, my assumption is that something significant lies underground.

The property in question is between the Bull Frog shaft and the Mt. Pleasant mine. It is unclear to me whether the works were a part of Bull Frog or Mt. Pleasant, or perhaps there is a cross-cut lying underneath Rt 15, connecting all three.

Does anyone have any more info on this site?

In any case, it's probably time to do a reconaissance of the area before they decide to dynamite and bulldoze whatever mine workings remain.

Happy and safe Exploring in 2008!
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:06 pm 

Hey Rob. Bull Frog was drilled and unsuccesfully grouted maybe 10 years ago. They tried filling it according to state guidelines but were unsuccesfull. You can see the main shaft right off the road, it looks like a big pond. The underground stopes are very very large. The owners wanted to build on it, but nothing can be done with this site as is. They even tried putting a bladder in the stopes but it wouldnt hold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Rob or Dan,

Do you have any recent pictures of the site? I would love it if you could share them.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:51 am 
Site Admin

Rob, this sounds very interesting. A reconnaissance trip is definitely in order. It is amazing that for once, the expense and effort of destroying a mine site is finally not worth the headaches. With the two mines being in such close proximity, it seems possible that they might be connected (even if undocumented), especially if there lies an indirect connection with the Irondale Tunnel.

If the townhouses are ever built, I wonder if they will charge extra for the generous basement square footage below ground...

Post subject: Just to let everyone know,
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:55 am 

Just to let everyone know, the Wharton Police have been patrolling the property adjacent to the Bull Frog Mine on E Dewey Ave. in Wharton, So Watch out and don't stay long, I would advise anyone attempting a visit to park at the Shopright and go for a walk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:01 pm 

The mine still may win this fight. "Will do whatever it takes" is in the language of every land developer's sales pitch, often thrown at any land-use problem (filling a mine, protecting waterways, installing sewage treatment, winning over the natives, etc.). A surprisingly large percentage of land developers loose their fights when they really start to see the cost forecasts - egos bigger than their wallets, basically.

Still, the mine is once again in danger, so someone ought to keep an eye on it, just in case the developer really will go all the way.

--
Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Very true.. Even when the developers think that they won the fight, as we've seen with the mines in Mine Hill, White Meadow, and many other areas, the Mine never gives up. I think we should take a better look at this area and do a full investigation while we still have the opportunity.

Miner Greg