Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "A History of the Ferro Monte Railroad" Lecture
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 am 

The Ferromonte Historical Society of Mine Hill will host the program "A History of the Ferro Monte Railroad" presented by Dr. Anthony Troha on Tuesday, March 18 at 8:00 PM in the Mine Hill Civic Center on Baker Street. The illustrated talk will cover the history and the archeological remains of the railroad that transported over one million tons of iron ore from several mines in Mine Hill Township, including the celebrated Dickerson Mine, between 1870 and 1917. The program is free and open to the public. For more information, contact the Society at fhs_info@yahoo.com.

Directions to the Mine Hill Civic Center:

From the West, travel eastbound on Route 46. Upon reaching the top of the hill in Mine Hill, you will see the fire signal (a traffic light flashing amber) in front of the Fire Department station, which is situated on your right at the corner of Route 46 and Baker Street. Turn right onto Baker Street. Looking to your left, you will pass by the Mine Hill Municipal Building and the next building is the Mine Hill Civic Center. Park in the parking lot between the Municipal Building and the Civic Center or on the street along the curb bordering the Civic Center.

From the East, travel westbound on Route 46. Upon reaching the crest of the hill in Mine Hill you will encounter the fire signal (flashing amber) in front of the Fire Department station, which is located on your left at the corner of Route 46 and Baker Street. Turn left onto Baker Street and then follow the directions for locating the Civic Center and finding parking given above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Anthony,

Sorry I missed this presentation. Unfortunately I didn't have enough notice and didn't see the post until after the date of the presentation. I hope it went well and you had a good crowd.

Are you doing another historic tour of the railroad this year?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:42 pm 

Twenty-five people showed up for the talk, which unfortunately took about two hours to deliver (information overload). The presentation included a brief history of the Dickerson Mine, including the Dickerson-Canfield family members who owned and operated it, and a virtual tour of the rail line.

I will be giving the actual tour again on Sunday, April Sixth. I'll post a separate message announcing the tour. An announcement appeared in one of the local newspapers, but the E-Mail address was misspelt, so who knows how many inquiries we would have received otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm sure a talk like that was easy to be an information overload! There is so much in those topics, its hard to know when to begin or were to end. Other than the email problem, I'm glad things went well. If you are doing another talk, please keep us posted on it!

Miner Greg