Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Laurel Hill Mine Slideshow
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

Recently miners Kate, Greg and myself spent one rainy afternoon to re-capture the historic and small Laurel Hill Mine! Our results can be seen here:

http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/laurel-hill-mine-1.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:13 pm 

Nice update on the little roomy mine guys. Is there some new photo gear being used there? it appears your using a new lens/camera :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Dan, there are probably a few factors that have hopefully improved our mine photo-documentation. Greg did in fact update his photo gear since the last major mine slideshow. He could probably elaborate there. We have been both fine tuning our lighting methods to bring out more clarity and of course, Miner Kate has provided her influence as well this time around. I also spent less time post-processing the pictures as I think we both feel more confident capturing the shots in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I've now upgraded to the impossible to get Sony DSC-R1 camera. This is a 10.3 mega-pixel camera which has an SLR sensor in it. While it is still technically a point and shoot or a full featured camera, it provides all of the benefits of an SLR camera just without the major disadvantage of being an SLR camera - SLR. As a result it has true live preview 100% of the time (seeing what the sensor sees instead of a reflection through the lens of the camera).

It also features a very wide angle lens. While the lens is not removable, professional photographers have reviewed the integrated lens and rate it to an equivalent wide angle lens costing $700 - $1000. It also does raw and all of the other cool stuff you would expect from a camera like this. It was discontinued and replaced by the Sony Alpha 1, but this camera is a very sought after camera due to it's live preview and high quality integrated lens.

And as Miner Mike said, technique has also improved.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:30 am 

well I liked the shots, nice job.

Some high end SLR's from Nikon and Canon actually do have live preview built in the form of a tiny video camera that sits above the prism and feeds to the LCD screen. Its not a 100% true indication of the shot like a conventional digital camera, but it works pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the compliments!

I have seen a few of the newer high end SLR's with their form of live preview, but I had the same concern as you did. In addition, some of the cameras only did live preview for a 3 second preview period and then went back to normal SLR view. Those were almost what I was looking for, but not quite.

The new Cannon 450D looks really nice though. That looks to have a true live preview option that uses the same image sensor that pictures are taken with. A lot of good options available to it as well. The only thing it is missing though which I like from my DSC-R1 is the tilting LCD screen. I've found this very handy and convenient for the type of mine shots I like to take.

The Sony DSLR-A350 looks pretty interesting as well, it now features the live preview and also has the tilting LCD screen like my DSC-R1. Haven't seen any detailed reviews on the new Sony yet though.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:05 pm 

We use a Canon with a tiliting LCD screen and that is the best thing ever for many shots we take. I didn't think we would like it at first but now I would never get one without it.