Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mine in phillipsburg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:06 pm 

Hi everyone,
I recently signed on to the forum. First of all, great site! The wealth of information and pictures bring appreciation and intepretation to these places in a unique and informative way. Does anyone have any information on the mine in phillipsburg? There are atleast a dozen pits and an underground entrance that goes in for 60 feet. You cant really see it unless you go down the hill from the pits. Did they mine for iron? When did it close? Regards Jack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum Jack. We have in fact documented the mine you speak of, the Marble Mountain Mine. It is featured on our site at http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/marble-mountain-mine-1.htm. Hematite, an ore of iron was mined here but the operation was relatively minor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:12 pm 

Thanks Miner Mike. I should have known youd be on top of that mine. How is it one would identiffy hematite? It was probably all around and i didnt even know it. Regards Jack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Jack,

Welcome to the forum. Hematite is generally red brown in appearance, slightly dirty looking. Magnetite would be dark with a blue tint to it which generally can only be seen in the sunlight. Without sunlight or with just an ordinary flash light, it will look generally dark or black. However it should not be confused with hornblende which will be pure black. You will also find Magnetitie to be magnetic while Hematite is generally only mildly magnetic.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

One way to field test for hematite is with NIB (neodymium iron boron) magnets. They are extremely powerful and will attract hematite (with no associated magnetite). However if the specimen contains both hematite and magnetite, you cannot confirm the presence of just hematite with this method. A streak test would work. Rub the specimen on a piece of unglazed porcelain. Hematite would produce a red mark. Hematite can also be silvery gray in color if the particles are arranged differently. However, a red streak would still be produced. Magnetite produces a black streak.