Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lnadowner issues
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:30 pm 

What are the experiences of the various research groups with landowners?

I find it hard to believe that all of these mines are on public property. And the fact that some have been sealed is evidence that the owners are not keen to folks exploring their old mines. ( I'm certain their lawyers don't like it either.)

One poster who shall remain nameless, seems to express his opinon of the matter in his signature block. But as cavalier as it sounds, it doesn't hold much water when confronted by the nice gentlemen ( in most cases ) in uniforms.

Or somewhere in a closet is a scrapbook documenting a long history with the court system to go along with the published photos ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:48 pm 

i have no idea what youre referring to doug :lol: anyways, we got permission to enter as many mines as we could find the land owners to most of the time. usually the land isnt posted so we usually, just went and if asked to leave we would. we have never been asked to leave when land owners found out what we were doing there. also have been stopped by the police numerous times, parking on the side of the road usually putting on mining gear is something i guess they dont see often. well after 9 years we have yet to get fined for anything. usually they think what we do is great. took a police officer from a dept that shall remain nameless into one of the mines we used to go in when he stopped us. thought it was the coolest thing he ever did. never knew the history was right below his feet...... so to speak. but our motto was go now, answer questions later..... for the most part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Believe it or not we generally follow the rules and receive permission when necessary. If the mine or property is not posted or blocked by a wall, fence or locked gate, you are generally not breaking any laws by entering. If a landowner asks you to leave his/her property and it is not posted, you must respect his/her wishes and leave. You are breaking the law if you refuse his/her request or return. If confronted by the nice gentlemen in uniforms, as long as you are not breaking the law, you have nothing to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:43 pm 

I work with uniform personal every day in my job, and pretty much everyone I have worked with is down to earth and just doing their job. I have never really met a hard ass that does not take common sense into play in a situation. That is what these situations need, common sense.