Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A couple of hard rock mines in southern UT disscussion.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:34 pm 

I was visiting my folks in Southern UT. My Dad's a retired miner who rockhounds as a hobby. We went to these to sites for specimen collection on the dumps so we weren't equipped to go back very far. Still a few interesting things to see at the second site. Don't have much information about the mines not even a name.

We had been told that the first site was used for mining manganese, but I'm not sure. We're guessing the second site up and around the hill from the first was most likely a copper operation based on the amount of chrysocola and chalcopyrite we found in and around it.

Link to the photos.
http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/viewtopic.php?t=20064

--EDITED--
Fixed the above link into the pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for sharing your shots! I understand your primary focus on collecting and I respect that. But you do have some pretty good photos of your journeys. I like the timbered entrance to the flooded tunnel. Still looks like it is holding up well. Looks very interesting especially the old chutes which look pretty intact. Do you have any information on how much further any of these tunnels go? Talk to you soon.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your photos! I've done some rockhounding in Arizona. It is quite interesting to see an abundance of minerals so unlike those found here, particularly, in the Highlands region of NY and NJ. If I lived out west I feel like I would have quite the mineral collection. However we still stumble upon some unique minerals out here, just that the geology is more predictable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:10 pm 

Miner Greg wrote:
Thanks a lot for sharing your shots! I understand your primary focus on collecting and I respect that. But you do have some pretty good photos of your journeys. I like the timbered entrance to the flooded tunnel. Still looks like it is holding up well. Looks very interesting especially the old chutes which look pretty intact. Do you have any information on how much further any of these tunnels go? Talk to you soon.

Miner Greg

You're welcome. Glad you guys liked the photos.

I think you're right that the flooded tunnel is in fact a tunnel rather than a drift. The local 'expert' we consulted swore that it was a drift. Too straight in my opinion.

The tunnel itself seems to be holding up well though the timbered entrance was showing signs of rot from being so close to the moisture. The water was just a bit deeper than my Gore-Tex boots. Besides that, the only light source we had was the flashlight I grabbed off the shelf in the parent's garage. It worked but I had no idea how old the battery was. The next time I fly out, I plan on bringing the appropriate gear and making an attempt to find more information about the extent of the tunnel and second mine.

The drift went in about 20-30 yards and opened up into a good sized stope. Of course I didn't measure it but I would estimate that it was maybe 75 yards long and perhaps 15 yards wide from the foot wall to the hanging wall with about a 15-20 degree slope on the floor. With nothing for scale reference it's really hard to tell though.

Miner Mike wrote:
Thanks for sharing your photos! I've done some rockhounding in Arizona. It is quite interesting to see an abundance of minerals so unlike those found here, particularly, in the Highlands region of NY and NJ. If I lived out west I feel like I would have quite the mineral collection. However we still stumble upon some unique minerals out here, just that the geology is more predictable.

Understood. The geology here in MO is not quite as varied as that in AZ and UT either. MO still has some cool stuff, though.

Most of the minerals I have, native copper etc, come from AZ, but Southern Utah is a Mecca for rockhounds. My dad enjoys purchasing or collecting mineral and rock specimens from his travels. He was in New Zealand and was determined to get something as he figured he would never be back. So he found a good sized rock store and was excited about taking home something cool. As he looked around the store, most of the stuff he found was from Southern Utah! Oh well.