Iron Miners
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help identifying a local mine (Burkhart Preserve, Emmaus PA)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 am 

Hey guys,

So lately I have been interested in local mine and Industrial History. I have mainly been looking in my local area (Mid east PA), and have so far explored the Freidensville Zinc Quarry and the Rittenhouse Gap Iron mines (Both of which are very cool places, I hope to get some photos up sometime soon).

So anyways, the other day while taking a walk at a very obscure nature preserve, I came across what I think is an old mine, although I cant find any information on it. The nature preserve is a small, 25 acre plot of woods on top of South Mountain behind Emmaus PA. The preserve is maintained by a local wild lands community, although it is a very well kept secret (The park is public although not many people know about it and it isn't marked from the road). The park consists of two 1 mile trails that run parallel to each other, with a smaller "mines" trail that crosscuts both in the center. Along this mines trail are large mounds of dirt, tailings piles, and signs of tunnel failure. So far, I haven't been able to find any information on the mine, not even its name. What are some resources I could check out? I was thinking of heading to the local library for some reading material on local history.

Here is a link to the preserve's page on the park. As you can see, they provide very little information on the space, not even an address.

http://www.wildlandspa.org/b-leroy-and- ... -preserve/

B. Leroy and Elizabeth Burkhart Preserve
Emmaus, PA 18049

I will update with photos next time I am there.

On an unrelated note, did limestone mines ever have underground operations? There is another unmarked/unknown limestone quary near my house which is surrounded by deep pits and I am unsure if they are sinkholes or tunnel failures.

Post subject: Re: help identifying a local mine (Burkhart Preserve, Emmaus
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:25 pm 

I can't help you with the first question. As for your second question, yes there were and still are underground limestone mines. The vast majority are open quarries but underground mines do exist.
P.S. we love pictures

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:53 pm 

Not sure if your unknown mine had a name. But parts of South Mountain were extensively mined for Limonite/Goethite and the scars are visible from operations here and there.

Limonite from the area was crushed and used in the manufacture of certain dyes long ago.

http://www.mindat.org/loc-190324.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:37 pm 

Very interesting ! Can you share anything else about this area ? I would love to hear about it :)

Jackstraw63 wrote:
Not sure if your unknown mine had a name. But parts of South Mountain were extensively mined for Limonite/Goethite and the scars are visible from operations here and there.

Limonite from the area was crushed and used in the manufacture of certain dyes long ago.

http://www.mindat.org/loc-190324.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:36 am 

Hey this is the Iobst iron mine, i know history on it can you help me with location?