Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salina, UT mine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:13 pm 

Hi folks,

For those of you who've been to central Utah or know a little about it I visited the area around Salina, UT in 2007. It wasn't a mine exploring trip but I ended up finding one anyway, though for a variety of reasons I couldn't go in very far (not the mine's fault, it was wide open!). I was wondering if anyone has heard of/visited/has old photos of this place. It's a long shot, especially since there are a lot of old mines out there, but here's what I know.

It's located a few miles east of Salina and is visible from I-70. There were two drift mouths that I could see. One of them had wooden structure remains on the hill outside it, probably a tipple. The opening I went into a little ways didn't have any rail. We found some copper around the entrance so it was probably a copper mine, but I'm not sure of that. I took a GPS point at the one opening, and the second drift mouth with the tipple is about 100 yards northwest along the footpath:
38°56'1.74"N 111°48'33.14"W. The tipple remains show up on Googe Earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 am 
Site Admin

I have not been to Utah yet, I wouldn't be opposed to heading out there one trip. Some of our members have been to Utah, perhaps they have some insight.

Did you take any pictures of the site? I'd love to see any if you brought your camera along.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:06 pm 

I'm having some issues with posting photos here, but I do have some photos of the mine at this site: http://picasaweb.google.com/Musty65/UtahMining?feat=directlink

Also in that album are photos of the Bingham Canyon mine, but the Salina mine is in the first 8 photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah those are some impressive shots I must say. Except for the graffiti, the mine shots look pretty clean too. I like the mucker too, don't find those too often anymore..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

I love how dry the mines are out in the desert. The first time I stepped into a dry desert mine, I thought it felt more like a musty basement than a mine. Everything from the smell, to the dryness, to the temperature (AZ mines often times being moderately warm) is different than the mines out here. In some cases you could (and we did) actually kick up enough dust that you couldn't see much in front of you. The best part though is that the dryness acts as a preservative in a lot of cases and well, everything looks just as it did when the mine was abandoned. Here, the extreme moisture rots away the wood and metal and everything has a cool damp feeling.