Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iron Info from Miner Diana
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:41 am 

Hey everyone! i know i haven't been on here or involved for a long time, but I involved in a lot of archaeology. I've just recently come across the Society for Industrial Archaeology and I've been in touch with a member there who has been sending me emails regarding mining and iron working.
Bob Stewart who is a member gave me some inof I thought i would pass along:

There is (was) an organization known as the "Ironmasters". Lee Maddex, a member of SIA (Society for Industrial Archeology) ran it for a while. lmaddex@att.net Lee is still active in SIA-he's chairing our paper sessions this year in Pittsburg. Check out: http://www.as.wvu.edu/ihtia/Ironmasters ... erence.pdf
I don't know if they would have any interesting information or bulletins, but its kind of interesting.

Also he gave me some information about a man interested in giving away from iron working material.....so if anyone's interested here's the info:

"im Johnston of Rehoboth, MA has done extensive work on recreating the conditions necessary for smelting iron in the 17th century. He has built a small blast furnace which is fully instrumented. As a metallurgist his work is definitive. He says the best work for making iron is an 1863 book by Sir John Percy. You can contact him at 1 (508) 252-4528. He also is willing to sell. at rock-bottom prices, all his furnaces, test equipment, tools etc. but it must be to someone who will continue experimenting. If you are serious about iron making this is a good place to get started.

Want to make Iron? I've measured charcoal versus air, slag, and iron oxide rates. I've learned that charcoal combustion temperatures can soar well beyond 3200 Deg. F. Now, it's time to make 20-50 lb.
blooms and learn how to hammer them out. BUT I'm too old, so it's your turn. My equipment is available—air rate gauges, blowers with speed control transformers, remains of furnaces with small hoist, and several hundred pounds of charcoal and ore (both hematite, magnetite and bog ore). I also have forging equipment valued at around $1000, consisting of 300lb anvil, portable antique forge, foot vise, some tongs and coal. Both forge and iron-making go together. Call or write Jim Johnston 4 Hillside Ave., Rehoboth, MA 02769, Tel. 508 252 4528 "

Well I hope someone can benefit from this!!! Hopefully I'll see you guys sometime soon!

Miner Diana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:40 pm 

woah.........................

buy the equipment for your own iron production... :shock: Thatd be awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:31 pm 

Hi Diana, are you an IA student?

I almost joined the IA grad program out at Michigan Tech. I worked with them as an archaeologist for a summer at the West Point Foundry near Cold Spring, NY.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back Diana! Yeah, we had thrown around some ideas of trying to smelt ironore to make ore car wheels for example. While it would certainly be one heck of a fun project, I don't have the room right now to do that. Interesting how he basically has a small scale 19th century iron production center for sale! I'd love to do something like that though, it would be neat.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:53 pm 

I am a student at SCSU in New haven, CT. But i know someone who worked at the West Point Foundry (Cal Wacker?). Anyway, if only someone had the room for this. Miner CT Mike....?

Also would anyone be interested in giving a presentation to the Archaeological Society of CT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Miner CT Mike should have room ;-)..

Maybe my next house I'll have the room to set something up and build a collection of Iron type stuff..

Miner Greg