Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ely Mine Adit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Seeing as the weekend was open, and we hadn't been to a mine since... the previous weekend, we decided it was time to pay Vermont another visit. We scheduled a room in Coolidge Hotel in White River Junction and drove approximately half hour to the mine. The weather was clear as we trekked approximately three quarters of a mile back up the mountain in search of the adits. Its been reported that there are several adits we weren't going to leave before we found at least two of them. We might have found three... Here is the main adit, once an important haulage tunnel for the mine. This connects to the stope shown in the previous Ely Mine photos. There are atleast 3 other openings we didn't have time to go into.

Enjoy!

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/viewtopic.php?t=20576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Very neat. Glad to see you made it back there again. It looks like quite the different mine without the ice inside. Pretty neat and it looks to be an overall wet mine. I figured it might be a little dryer, but given this has been a wet summer, that may have kept the mine undry. Good shots!

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Simply put you don't explore this mine expecting to come out dry and clean and ready for a night out in town. Two of the adit tunnels are pretty wet but they are just capturing water and they are positioned higher than the natural water table of the mine. Most of the mine is in fact flooded but it still leaves an astounding amount of passageway to explore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Were you able to get any more photos of the ore car in this mine? It would be interesting seeing a photo of the ore car, free from ice.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Yes I did but don't confuse this ore car with the one at Pike Hill Mine. That ore car was submerged in ice -- this one wasn't. The ore car looked pretty much the same -- cemented to flowstone. There is still more to explore in this mine so who knows, maybe we'll uncover yet another ore car... (crossing my fingers)