Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A little Gold from the mine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 pm 

Here's some pics of the gold associated with the mine. If you go to the link and click on the pic, then click the + the pics get bigger. Haven't been able to figure out how to post larger pics on the site. These were taken with a throw away camera and then scanned, so I'm sorry for the quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25074795@N05/

First is a piece I slabbed from one of the pockets.

Second are some crystalline pieces that come from the gouge.

Problem I have now is the tunnel is caved and needs to be spiled for about 180'. That, or I could try to punch a new hole and cross cut the tunnel which could be 200-350'. Any thoughts would be appreciated on solutions for this.

Will be heading up there tomorrow to see if I can get past the snow drifts to re access to situation.

Thanks and hope you enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

I like the crystallization of the gold from the gouge. I would be interested in seeing any photos of your work to gain access or your success. Did the mine produce in the past? When was it in operation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:08 pm 

Mike,

The individual pieces of crystalline are my favorite as well. I found a pocket of them in the gouge in the amphibolite hanging wall about 6 feet from the vein. The gold in the vein itself is crystalline as well. As an after thought I probably should have sent the large piece out to someone and had the quartz removed using hydrofluoric acid.

The snow drifts were impassable and there was another 3 feet of snow in the last 10 days, so access is on hold.

The mine was originally an ancient gravel mine first worked in 1854. An outcrop was later discovered and #1 tunnel was driven on the vein. The river channel actually cuts the vein about 170' in from the portal for 100'. #3 tunnel was put in 550' below #1 and is connected with a winze. I tried for over a year to reopen #3 with no success due to soft ground from the serpentine dike. #1 has since caved in three places. Had an engineer design sets which were installed and failed. I've mucked out over 2000 yards of material which keep coming from the backs.

#2 tunnel is driven on a second vein system and has 700+ feet of tracked tunnel. There is a 240' vent which I've used via a chain ladder for access. There are 5 blocked out areas in #2. Three have not been stoped while the fourth is partially stoped and the ore bin is still in place.

The mine has produced gold in the past with some pockets yielding 1000 OPT. Years ago I talked with an oldtimer in the area and was told in 1931 the mine looked like a small town with a mill and 2 Knudsen bowls set up in front of #2. For some reason in 1932 the place was abandoned and looked like a ghost town I was told.

Every year it becomes harder to deal with the US Forest Service on a Plan of Operation. I'll take some pictures of my attempt to reopen the #2 portal later this year. Not sure, but I think my only option is to spile in.