Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 pm 

I asked this question a few years ago. Hoping that maybe some new info has come to light. When I was young we used to travel to Lake Shawnee NJ to visit family. I remember the lake being red, and life less ( but yeh it was open to swimming). I was told it was from the near by Iron mines of years past. If my memory serves me correct Lake Shawnee was the exit before Dover on I 80 going east. ? It was only a few miles north off the interstate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I've never heard about the lake once being stained red. It is located near the enormous but inaccessible Hurd Mine. Whatever might have caused the lake to turn red and lifeless must no longer be the case as it is now open to fishing for nearby residents. Now of course you've opened yourself up to my favorite question, did you by chance take any pictures of it then? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:51 pm 

Sorry gang... I was about 4 ( 1974) I know I know. I vaguly remember some remains. Im guessing on the east or northeast end of the lake. People swam in the lake, it had open beaches. But we never would. if you were in more than 1 foot of water you lost sight of the bottom . You guys do know now that most remains of the anthracite region has been destroyed. My interests are turning ... toward NJ iron mines. Seems like there is more to see and discover that way. Ill have to a bit of researching. I also remember my first steam excursion was that way. Morris county railways ? ( early 1970's) Thinking it was cowboy oriented. I remember a staged train robery.