Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chile's textbook mine rescue brings global respect
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:16 am 
Site Admin

SAN JOSE MINE, Chile – Chile's 33 rescued miners have met with the country's president in the hospital ward where they're being checked after being pulled from the mine.

Doctors say most are doing well and several are expected to be released today, reuniting with their families and beginning to deal with an onslaught of global interest in their ordeal.

President Sebastian Pinera is celebrating the success story as an achievement that will bring Chile a new level of respect around the world.

But he says Chile must learn from the experience too, and vows fundamental changes in how businesses treat their workers.

Never again, he says, will Chile allow people to work in such inhumane conditions as the collapsed mine.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

SAN JOSE MINE, Chile (AP) — Chileans reveled Thursday in the stunning glory and jubilation of a record-setting mine rescue. As the celebration fades, however, several key questions await resolution.

Click image to see photos from the rescue scene

AP/Hugo Infante, Chilean government

Officials at the copper and gold mine whose collapse trapped the 33 men for more than two months still have to answer why it was allowed to operate at all.

Attention will also focus in coming days on the rescued miners themselves, their emotional scars must be tended â€â€