Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Professional abandoned mine photos
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:36 pm 

Hi, I am new to iron miners.com and reside in Utah. I am a professional photographer who has been publish in numerous magazines. I love to explore and shoot abandon mines and buildings. I shoot mostly out west but have shot in the Adirondack iron mine region. i know I'm spamming but check out my site and let me know what you think.
www.brentbensonphotography.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Welcome to the site. I was looking at your site after validating your account, you have some pretty good shots on your site. Very nice work! Where in the Adirondack region did you visit?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:00 pm 

Greg, I have explored Lyon Mt, some great old mills. Mineville has one of the biggest mills I have ever seen, but it's suppose to be getting demo anytime now :( I had the caretaker show me around. There is also a great little museum in Port Henry, NY. It has lots of equipment and photo's and if you go on Friday one of the Volunteers used to work the mines. The iron center doesn't have a web site, but don't let that discourage you. You could easily spend afternoon there. It does have a FB page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 359&ref=ts
I will post some photos of the old # 7 mill for you soon on the photo page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Sounds good. I've always wanted to check out the remains of Lyon Mountain. I have read lots of interesting stuff about it, but never made it up there. I did not know that it was in danger of being torn down. I had thought the town had a lot of pride in their iron heritage, and thus that something like this wouldn't even be a possibility.

Too bad.. If you took and photos when you were there, I'd really love to see them. Any thing you have would be interesting..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:09 pm 

Great shots.
When you say the mill in Mineville, are you referring to the giant mill that shows up on google maps at the end of the road labeled Adirondack Park Reserve? When will demolition start? Why is it coming down? Who owns the facility? Is there any movement to preserve it? Sorry for all the questions, but its an amazing site and of great interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Minephotos, besides having discovering some amazing sites underground, your method of photography is stunning. We would definitely like to photo document the mill before it is destroyed. I wonder if it just lacks historical awareness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm 

Yes it's the #7 in Mineville, NY. I met with the caretaker and he let me in to take some photos, but I was rushed and couldn't do it right. The place has all of its equipment still in it. We went into the parts room and the shelves are still full! Even the assay room had unbroken beakers. There is NO grafetti in it and very little liter. He told me they have some ongoing copper wire thief and thats about all. The company who owns it wants to scrap it for the $$$. He told me it would start this fall, but as of 2 weeks ago nothing has been done. If you want to see I could give you the contact or you can just go for it. It is a crying shame its getting scraped. I would really like to spend a couple of nights in it getting photo's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:58 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, please PM me with the contact info. I would really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:22 am 

Hey Mike, If you go, call me.