Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forest Fire in Sunflower, AZ by Sunflower Mine
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Another forest fire, Arizona's largest, is burning in Sunflower, AZ near the Sunflower Mine (see http://www.ironminers.com/mines/sunflower-mine/). Last report it is only 7% contained and has already burned 12,000 acres. There is no word whether the fire has already consumed the structures here or not. The fate of our mining history is at stake.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valley ... photos.php

Post subject: Re: Forest Fire in Sunflower, AZ
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Although the fire is reportedly 80% contained, unfortunately the Sunflower Mine as well as the Pine Mountain Mine to the north were both located within the region that burned. Both mines had historic mills with wood which may have offered fuel for the fire. The area is still closed to all vehicles.

Post subject: Re: Forest Fire in Sunflower, AZ
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Here is an article that provides historic insight about the area including tellurium mining. I'm glad we were able to provide some additional information about the Sunflower Mine and grateful that we had the opportunity to visit and document this important site prior to the fire.

http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2012/ ... g-history/

Post subject: Re: Forest Fire in Sunflower, AZ by Sunflower Mine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

This is tragic news from both the standpoint of people's homes potentially being affected as well as the destruction of some amazing historical sites. I am really hoping these sites were spared, but we will have to watch the news as it comes in and when they open up the area for investigation on what was destroyed by the wild fires.

Miner Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

I regret to report that little was spared by the Sunflower fire. The Sunflower Mine processing center has in fact been destroyed save for foundations and some metal machinery. The mine openings are now in the process of being filled as part of a mercury and asbestos cleanup to prevent contamination from running downhill. The site will remain closed for at least a year. The facility at Pine Mountain Mine has also been confirmed destroyed.

Additional information and pictures and be seen here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state ... -news.html

Post subject: Nice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:53 am 

The fire has already reached the Silver Prince Mine and destroyed a residence at the mine. The good news, is it hasn't reached the town of Crown King.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Hey Steward, thanks for the update. Do you happen to know if any of the roadways in and out of Crown King are still closed? By chance, have you visited the area to see the extent of the damage?