Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: scrub oaks washington etc
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:47 am 

first off thank you for the info about the washington mine i am interested in 1950's mining were those the only ore/zink mines operationg in the tri state area beside the coal mines way out in pa during that time were there mines in conneticut the hudson valley still runing in the fifties and sixties was that all alan wood owned if so how close to nyc did mining occur during this time mount hope is only 35 miles west of manhatten i find that very facinating would miners come from new york city to mount hope richards scub oaks because they were not to far maybe even to washington also do you plan on adding washington mine to this site. do you have more photos of scub oaks beside's the one's on the site already and any kind of photos/maps of the washington mine that you could post 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

There existed the Friedensville Zinc Mine operated by NJ Zinc Company (which also operated Sterling Mine and Franklin Mine in NJ) There were also zinc mines operating in the Adirondack regions of New York. It would be very unlikely that any miners would have come from Manhattan.

These were the days before Midtown Direct service to and fro Manhattan. Franklin, Sterling, Mount Hope, Scrub Oak and Richard Mine all had houses (most if not all owned by the mining companies) within close proximity to their mines. Mine owners and investors could have had offices in NY (Cooper and Hewitt did) but daily "commuting" as we know it today was not the way of life for a Highlands miner.

Yes, we would like to add Washington Mine to the site (and someday will) but still have more work to do in the research department. This was a very extensive operation, one that we are not prepared to add to the site without a thorough analysis.