Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cornish Miners in New England and New York State
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 pm 

I am doing research on the Cornish miners in New England and New York State. I am the editor of the newsletter called the Cornish Crier [website and all back issues at: http://cornishcrier.org/ Current research is for future articles, and long term goal is a book on the Cornish miners in New England. Descendants, researchers and anyone with a serious interest, please contact me. THANKS, Barry

Post subject: Re: Cornish Miners in New England and New York State
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:13 pm 

Barry,

I've done a lot of research into the mines of the lower Hudson Valley. I've never heard of Cornish miners in the iron mines. Labor seems to have been mostly Irish and Italian with a few Germans. Mine owners and management were probably yankee-WASP, but check for Cornish surnames. Putnam Co. NY is littered with iron mines. I suggest you research with the "Putnam Co. Currier" newspaper archives found on line thru the Mahopac Library. The server is quite slow so be patient. The search feature also doesn't seem to work well so you might find a significant date thru another source and than check this local paper. I'll give you a head start with the Tilly Foster Mine disaster. Lots of names in this story (Italians have only numbers). Enter the link below and than click on 12-6-1895. I suggest that you blow up the pdf. to 125% for easier reading. Good luck. I will be intrested to see what you find and how you find it. (this forum doesnt allow you to upload pdf).

http://www.localarchives.org/mahopac/ta ... Directory1

Post subject: Re: Cornish Miners in New England and New York State
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 pm 

Check into the mines on Storm King Mountain in "Cornwall" NY. Sometimes names are more than just names. "Prospect Street" usually has a hole near by.