Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mine related hiking trips
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:34 pm 

I am part of a hiking group and want to expand the hiking locations that we go to. The group usually goes to the typical hiking locations like county and state parks. I want to go the locations that some people may not the chance to go to or did not existed, like mining areas.

I want the hikes to range from easy to intermediate level hikes with a few tougher hikes as well. Most hikers are in the intermediate level but some can not deal with intermediate hikes forget the tough hikes.

Here are some key points, the parking has to be decent (people can shuttle in cars from another location but some parking spots are needed) and not just on the side of the street like some mines. It needs be a decent hike of at least a few miles or nobody will show up and most importantly, it needs be safe for everybody.

Here are some hikes I have in mind so far:

- Beach Glenn
- Tar Hill
- Pahaquerry
- Hacklebarney
- High Ledge
- "Lower" Weldon Mines

Do you have any other locations that would be a good fit?

Some lower NY areas like Harriman can work as well Harriman is known and well documented so this can be an easy one to start with initially. Others in southern NY and Eastern PA areas would be potentially good spots as well.

I plan on giving out a map of the hiking route if possible and maybe some basic historical data on the hike as well, which would separate these hikes from other hikes. Nobody would go into the mines for obvious reasons but people bring cameras so pictures will be taken and placed on a popular website.

If you have any ideas let me know so people can expand their horizon of the rich under-appreciated mining history of the area.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Mine related hiking trips
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hey,

It's been a while! For a large group, I would probably recommend some of the public places like up in Harriman State Park (you've got Bradley Mine, Cranberry Mine, Cornell Mine, Pine Swap, to name a few).. Many of the mines in this area are even marked on some of the trail maps for the park. Some of the mines are protected, but there are no restrictions on at least visiting the sites.

You also have Sterling Forest NY (Lake Mine, Sterling Mine). They have a pretty good trail system there which goes to and around some of the mines in the park. However the rangers there are pretty strict and don't like people wandering off the 'established ways'. The trails do take you to some very impressive ruins of the mining complexes of the Lake Mine, it is probably worth looking at.

You can also try some of the Edison Mines in Ogdensburg NJ. Another public trail system going around the remains of the Ogden Mines and Thomas Edison's work back in the day.

Then there are a bunch of trails in Mount Hope going around the Elizabeth Mine, Elizabeth Shaft, and they go through and around the Richard Mines. These are also public trails. There might be maps available too for these.

Miner Greg