Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ontario Canada mine info request
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:07 am 

Does anyone have a list of the active mines in Ontario Canada?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:08 pm 

Ah, I know this thread is old but.....

Did you Ohio boys get to any of the active or abandoned Ontario mine sites when you visited?

I wish I had a working computer in the summer to know you guys were headed my way. I could have directed you to some awesome places. There's lots of hard rock workings all over Ontario just north of me. One place in particular (Cobalt) has many abandoned silver mines. I haven't been in those mines for a decade or more but last time I was there many of them were still accessible.

One thing really blew me away my last trip. A 100 year old headframe in the town center was converted into an apartment building!! How the owner got permits to convert an abandoned headframe into residential units is a mystery to me. I have a picture of it somewhere (35mm) but no way to scan or post it, sorry.

I've tons of 35mm drift and shaft pics too, some gated, most still open.

In another camp (Kirkland Lake) many headframes have been torn down and the shafts sealed tight between my two trips.

Oh well, maybe you'll make another road trip my way in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:35 pm 

That was one hell of a trip we did. I think we covered almost 2000 miles in 3 days. We stopped in North Bay, Sudbury (Inco nickel mines) & Falconbridge, & a Gypsum mine way south of there. We are planning another trip maybe next year to hit the mines north of Sudbury. We had a tip that there were some deep mines that had some equipment that needed to be saved. We are always looking for mining equipment specially small mine trammers & cars.

We did make it into a few of the operating shafts & next time we are going to set up some underground inspections. Any information we greatly be appreciated. Thanks for the P.M. awhile back.

The Ohio Vintage Coal Co.
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I'd love to see some of those old pictures you have taken with your 35 mm. Do you have access to a scanner? Sounds pretty interesting. I'd love to check out some of those areas one day. I'm sure there is another hidden world in those parts as there were a lot of mines up that way.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:21 pm 

The BIG nickel mines are very tough to get to & into. The best is to arrange undergorund appointments ahead of time. Tough to get a good contact with INCO & Falconbridge.

The mines to go to are north of this more abandoned stuff up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:29 am 

Well, I got new computer and maybe some time in the future.

I'll scan in some sites that are worth checking out. Mind you, many are probably capped now but there's lot's of adits to reach the main stopes and plenty of poor caps that are easily bypassed.

I personally liked getting into the Porcupine mines in Timmins years ago. Huge, massive hardrock operations. Well worth the risk.

Don't know howlong access will last. Govment is on a cap and reclaim program.

I'll try to get some directio0ns and photos up in the future.

BTW, did some threads get toasted? Like a mining movie thread where I added names of lots of available/semi-rare flicks that are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:33 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, we would be interesting in anything you find. I haven't made the trek up to Canada yet to document mines, but we'd love the opportunity to.

How active is the reclaiming process in your area? In this area, we've been finding a lot of stuff being destroyed by development rather than reclamation. Probably do to the age of the mines here. However in PA, lots of history sites are being destroyed by reclamation.

As for threads being deleted, our forum was recently hacked by one of our trusted members. Apparently he had obtained moderator privileges and deleted a lot of material from the site. Let me try to locate your thread in my backups. Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:07 am 

In Timmins Ontario ( Porcupine Camp), there are several operating mines,controlled by 2 companies. Goldcorp has the Hoyle Pond mine & the 100yr old Dome Mine ( I worked here 27= yrs ) , Xtrata operates the Kidd Creek mine (9100 feet deep, copper, zinc etc. ) , Luzenac ( Rio Tinto ) operates a talc open pit mine 30 miles west of Timmins . Lakeshore Gold Corp. is developing a new gold mine presently. There are a few old headframes here, but most have been torn down, because of provincial regulations, & that is too bad in my opinion, though I have photos of most of them. Presently, I read that there are over 80 companies doing exploration in the Timmins area. If anybody goes to Cobalt, Ontario, go to the Highway Bookshop for their many self published mining related books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:04 pm 

27yrs that is impresssive :!:

We made it to Sudbury & North Bay Ontario last summer.

We were hoping to make it to Timmins. Someone told us that there was a headframe there with lots of old equipment still on site from muckers to drills to mine locomotives.

Post subject: I Know Exactly Where That Mine Is....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:24 pm 

Hi all, new here...great site.

I'm from South Porcupine Ontario. In regards to the post by haulage miners ... just thought i would jump in and mention that i know exactly where that mine is. In fact its only 20 miles down the road from where i presently live and i was there taking some pics last spring with my brother. There is indeed a TON of equipment at this site. Oddly the equipment was brought up from below by a later operator and now just sits in the yards. This might not be too strange if it wasn't for the sheer amount. The mine complex is still complete and probably the best example of an earlier mine still in existence, at least in Ontario. With Gold at present values i worry that this site won't last.
I know all about it and can post a bunch of info for you when i get some time to compile it if you would like. I plan a revisit this summer for video footage.
Let me know !

P.S. a teaser...there is even an old steam hoist in excellent condition. likely from a winze.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:18 pm 

Miner Greg wrote:
Yeah, I'd love to see some of those old pictures you have taken with your 35 mm. Do you have access to a scanner? Sounds pretty interesting. I'd love to check out some of those areas one day. I'm sure there is another hidden world in those parts as there were a lot of mines up that way.

Miner Greg

Except due to Ontario government regulations on mine closures,it is difficult to find abandoned mine headframes,as the government deems them unsafe,which I totally disagree with.But if you look around,you can find some in Cobalt,Ontario,Kirkland Lake Ontario,Timmins,Ontario,Red Lake,Ontario,and many more locations in Northern Ontario,you have to research. My self,I took many photos of the old mines in my part of Ontario,when I was younger,and most of those mines have been leveled.