Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marble Mine - Colonnata, Italy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:39 am 

I went through a marble mine tour today. There are HUGE quarries in the mountain sides here in Italy for white and grey marble. Not only surface mines however 8) I was in a marble deep mine that was made in the middle of a former narrow gauge train tunnel (for transportation of marble). The mine workings start in the middle of the tunnel and branch off to the sides. Unfortunatly theres no rails anymore.. we rode into the mine in a van! It felt like something youd be doing in Mexico. Its about 50 feet tall inside with huge rooms where the marble was extracted. They have heavy machinery in the mine to aid in the extraction. (Excavators, bull dozers, bucket loaders) Its an active mine that they give tours in while they arent working. They cut enormous sections of marble right out of the walls and let them fall to the floor of the mine. They make a dirt bed where the marble is going to fall so that the gigantic pieces dont shatter when they hit the bottem. Cool stuff. Id much rather be working in a deep mine with the heat outside around here. I took quite a few pics. Ill have to sort through them when i get home and post some up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:47 pm 

Man that is cool. I bet the need for an explosive meter is not needed unlike the mines over here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:55 pm 

Negative. The only thing they really have to worry about is the fumes from the machines, so they have to ventilate it. Other than that, they use water like crazy in the cutting with the wiresaws, so the dust isnt bad i would imagine at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Pretty neat Banks. Look forward in seeing the pictures from that. How big was this operation? Deep underground, or near the surface of the mountain? Sounds pretty interesting.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:52 pm 

No it was deep... I think it was like 3 or 400 meters deep becasue of the mountain above us.