Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GLADIATOR MINE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:08 am 

Nice pictures and history of the gladiator mine! I was glad to see the tracks are still in place, too!

One picture mentions that the adit is flooded. Is it possible to wade in or does the water extend all the way up to the back?

Regards
Fred M. Cain

Post subject: Re: GLADIATOR MINE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Fred, this was truly a unique find! Once we had finally reached the vicinity of the mine, after trekking some 40 miles through the desert and up densely wooded mountain trails, one of our two Wranglers decided to break down. Creative as he is, Miner CT Mike repaired the vehicle on the spot! But doing so proved to take up most of what was left of daylight, and we needed to head back to the hotel to prepare for our flight home the following morning. To make a long story short, we didn't have time to thoroughly investigate and document the mine, and there is a lot we missed. Most of the photos we took were taken at dusk with long exposure, and taken VERY QUICKLY, before it was completely dark.

That said, the mine appeared to be flooded for as far as we could see from the portal. We only entered a short distance in, for pictures. You probably would only need muck boots.

This was an incredibly preserved site. Unfortunately a massive forest fire started here in 2012, aptly named the Gladiator Fire. I can only imagine what the place looks like today.

You can view photos and read about its history at http://www.ironminers.com/mines/gladiator-mine/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 pm 
Are you guys going to go back?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Dave, we have not made any plans to return.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 am 

Mike,

Darn shame about the fire. Isn't that the same thing that happened around the Sunflower Mine in Arizona? I doubt it hurt the mine any but probably the structures you saw are gone so it's a good thing you got some pictures of them!

Maybe you will have a chance to go back some day. You know, it has always amazed me as to HOW in the world these old mining companies managed to get all that heavy equipment and machinery back up into such remote areas. Then think about the miners themselves. They must've been really isolated.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:43 am 

How about this way Fred?
Photo from the http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com

Just add more mulepower!
You had a lot of open country unlike our dense native bush that covered most of our land.

Chris
in New Zealand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:59 am 
Fred, NZ Chris is right. During the building of the Transcontinental Railroad, Central Pacific crews moved entire locomotives over the mountains with nothing but oxen and mules.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:18 am 

Geeze!!!! I don't even want to think about that. Even with all those mules that almost looks like work to me!

Just think about harnessing all those animals? I've had to harness farm work horses and that was bad enough where there were only three or four of 'em!

And then think about trekking perhaps 20+ miles with that stuff. You can see why the West has a lot of abandoned relics out there. It just wasn't economically feasable to take the stuff back out again after mining ceased.

-Fred M. Cain