Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Adits At Old Mine Park Discovered
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:27 pm 

Today I discovered 2 old adits that probably crosscut the Tungsten ore vein. The shaft entrances have been filled with leaves and debris but could easily be opened up.These cuts were probably used to determine the length of the ore vein (Pyrite and Scheelite) so it may be acessed from alternate sites aside from 'the pit' torwards the front of the mine used to mine most of the ore. Remember that this mine was an enginnering and prospecting disaster not only because the scheelite was so difficult to separate from the pyrite through gravitational separation and the shafts were poorly constructed and placed in relationship to the water table. The flooding is the reason for the mine's closure.

On another subject, Who's ging to Franklin tomorrow? What do you have to do to get into Trotter dump to collect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:34 pm 

I will be in a trotter tomorrow evening, around 7pm. me and my wife are going. Maybe we can meet up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:35 pm 

I know a much better collecting site for franklin, practically undisturbed. Trotter has been manhandled, and buckwheat, forget that one, nothing is left there. thats been hounded for over 35 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:24 pm 

Sure we can meet up, ask Jeff Winkler to point me out for you. About that other site, I'm very much interested. Call my cell 1 203 981 7917 and we'll meet up.I Also I still need to register, they took me off the mailing list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Jeremy, I remember we spotted a few adits that appeared to have succombed to soil erosion at Trumbull Tungsten. One of them I remember was draining and Miner Greg might remember the other one because I was down exploring the stope when he was examining it. This adit apparently connects to the stope I was in but is but blocked by flooding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:57 am 
Site Admin

That adit was draining pretty well, but it was caved most likely to ground erosion. This is really a common problem with very old mines, many of them close themselves. If it was opened a little more, it would probably drain the stope better. I didn't go in the stope, so I'm not sure how far down it went below the water level.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:03 pm 

MinerCTMike and I think it may be too difficult to open the shafts again because they look completely filled with dirt and leaves. They were most likely test shafts and there's actually alot more then 2, more like 5 or 6 but they're all very small. The good news is I found interesting specimens of clinochlore over in that area, they consists of aesthetic very vuggy masses of crystals. Although it's not really something special, I like them.